Fire Trout

franslasttwinkie

I certainly am not going to defend this weekend’s performance, they were bad.
I think that the expectation this year was we weren’t going to see a repeat of last season. We lost some star players and this season should have been a rebuilding year.
CCU (RPI 10th) lost from 2022 and got BETTER:

Tyler Johnson: 19 HRs, .357 BA, .754 slugging
Thomas Dale: 13 HRs, .550 slugging
Eric Brown: 7 HRs, .330 BA, .544 slugging
Chris Rowan: 8 HRs, .544 slugging
Matt McDermott: 7 HRs

Michael Knorr: 3.39 ERA, 86Ks
Peter Vanscoter: 3.65 ERA, 85Ks
Jacob Maton, reliever 3.41 ERA 1.03K/inning

franslasttwinkie

It seems weird that losing the best closer in the country who likely wouldn't come in until the 8th inning would have much of anything to do with giving up 6 runs in a middle inning. ULL scored 18 runs in innings 5-7.

slycat

How does Dallas Baptist do so well in baseball?
What would it cost NIL their team to come here?
I am guessing they are like Coastal and fund baseball at a higher level. DBU doesn't have football to pay for so they can focus a lot more to baseball.

slycat

It seems weird that losing the best closer in the country who likely wouldn't come in until the 8th inning would have much of anything to do with giving up 6 runs in a middle inning. ULL scored 18 runs in innings 5-7.

View attachment 4717
View attachment 4718
View attachment 4719
I dunno. Who from the bullpen is the same from last year. If I remember, we scored more runs last year to cover for the runs given up. A lot of the runs are error related too. The fielding has been the glaring issue. Can't be ranked in the bottom of the country in fielding and expect to be great.

TomGIBill

M&G Collective Member
I dunno. Who from the bullpen is the same from last year. If I remember, we scored more runs last year to cover for the runs given up. A lot of the runs are error related too. The fielding has been the glaring issue. Can't be ranked in the bottom of the country in fielding and expect to be great.
Absolutely the fielding/errors.

franslasttwinkie

Fundamentals = coaching. Returning at least 3 of your best pitching starters and a few relievers from a 47 win team and still giving up a ton of earned runs = coaching. Not teaching situational baseball and leaving a plethora of runners stranded in scoring position = coaching. Throwing the ball into the outfield with a runner stealing 2nd when he basically already has the bag, takes 3rd and scores on a sacrifice the next play = coaching. Waking in bases loaded = coaching. Not teaching your infielders how to lead and toss a ball to your pitcher on the way to the 1st base bag = coaching

It’s far from just errors and not having Shuffield and Thompson in the lineup

Last edited:

carmanjello325

i suggest to trout he spend the offseason picking up a bunch of pitchers who can get double digit strikeouts every outing since our gloves and arms have no idea what to do when the ball is put in play and he refuses to bench anyone repeatedly fielding terribly and give reserves a go at it

Bobcat1

Fundamentals = coaching. Returning at least 3 of your best pitching starters and a few relievers from a 47 win team and still giving up a ton of earned runs = coaching. Not teaching situational baseball and leaving a plethora of runners stranded in scoring position = coaching. Throwing the ball into the outfield with a runner stealing 2nd when he basically already has the bag, takes 3rd and scores on a sacrifice the next play = coaching. Waking in bases loaded = coaching. Not teaching your infielders how to lead and toss a ball to your pitcher on the way to the 1st base bag = coaching

It’s far from just errors and not having Shuffield and Thompson in the lineup
Sheesh. Is it really that bad!? 😳 Guess I’ll see first hand this week.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
It's not. This thread is full of all kinds of stupid...

Very few of the things on that list are coaching. Yes we're teaching our catcher to "throw the ball into the outfield" and encouraging walks with the bases loaded...

Baseball is full of decisions by coaches and players that are easily 2nd guessed. Most of these guys probably don't watch much baseball other than TXST (I question if some of them even watch TXST after reading some of this material). We're dealing with a losing streak and a run of bad play right now like virtually every baseball team has during every season. While completely ignoring we won 8 of 9 and 5 straight immediately before it. Trout makes mistakes like all coaches do. But we're seriously having this discussion with a 36-20 team that's top 50 in the country in RPI, coming off the season it had last year, with the history this program has had for the last 10 years. That's what a 4-game losing streak does to fanbases, even if its 4 road games vs. top 70 teams. Admittedly we've played like shit during these 4 games, but most of the complaints here are overblown. Most of the complaints are from things stemming from simple lack of execution. Which is frustrating, but at this point in the season we should know what we're getting with most of these players. And sometimes you have to live with a few errors to get some offensive production or vice versa. It'd be nice if you could fill a college baseball team full of nothing but studs but that isn't possible for, well, anybody. But especially the TXST's of the world. If you want to complain the most maddening play to me during this losing streak is Gonzalez hitting a ball down the 1B line, that is immediately ruled fair, and he doesn't run it out. Then when the ball is booted all the way near the dugout by the 1st baseman and he still could've easily taken 1st he still doesn't run and sits in the box complaining and they eventually step on 1st for a free out. That was a 3-4-3 groundout that took about 10 entire seconds and we'd rather sit in the batters box and complain it was foul than take a free base. Anyone want to get on Trout for something like that then cool, instead we're complaining about a 1st baseman who's played close to every play this season and has 7 errors on the entire season (I'm assuming none on a throw to 1st), after having made multiple amazing plays over the past 2-3 weeks. Like what are we even talking about?

Here's a fun example of how it makes me wondering how many on this thread ever watch/attend a game:
he refuses to bench anyone repeatedly fielding terribly and give reserves a go at it
What do you call Alex Gonzales, who had previously played in all of 1 game all season long, getting 3 starts in a row this late in the season for our team leader in errors? You guys are sitting here complaining about Trout not doing the exact things he actually is doing and don't even realize it.

For the record, I'm not even completely sold on Trout just yet. And I try to stay away from here when we lose a bunch cause I know I'm gonna read some nonsense, but holy hell guys at least try and have a semblance of a clue before you type.

Bobcat1

Very few of the things on that list are coaching. Yes we're teaching our catcher to "throw the ball into the outfield" and encouraging walks with the bases loaded...

Baseball is full of decisions by coaches and players that are easily 2nd guessed. Most of these guys probably don't watch much baseball other than TXST (I question if some of them even watch TXST after reading some of this material). We're dealing with a losing streak and a run of bad play right now like virtually every baseball team has during every season. While completely ignoring we won 8 of 9 and 5 straight immediately before it. Trout makes mistakes like all coaches do. But we're seriously having this discussion with a 36-20 team that's top 50 in the country in RPI, coming off the season it had last year, with the history this program has had for the last 10 years. That's what a 4-game losing streak does to fanbases, even if its 4 road games vs. top 70 teams. Admittedly we've played like shit during these 4 games, but most of the complaints here are overblown. Most of the complaints are from things stemming from simple lack of execution. Which is frustrating, but at this point in the season we should know what we're getting with most of these players. And sometimes you have to live with a few errors to get some offensive production or vice versa. It'd be nice if you could fill a college baseball team full of nothing but studs but that isn't possible for, well, anybody. But especially the TXST's of the world. If you want to complain the most maddening play to me during this losing streak is Gonzalez hitting a ball down the 1B line, that is immediately ruled fair, and he doesn't run it out. Then when the ball is booted all the way near the dugout by the 1st baseman and he still could've easily taken 1st he still doesn't run and sits in the box complaining and they eventually step on 1st for a free out. That was a 3-4-3 groundout that took about 10 entire seconds and we'd rather sit in the batters box and complain it was foul than take a free base. Anyone want to get on Trout for something like that then cool, instead we're complaining about a 1st baseman who's played close to every play this season and has 7 errors on the entire season (I'm assuming none on a throw to 1st), after having made multiple amazing plays over the past 2-3 weeks. Like what are we even talking about?

Here's a fun example of how it makes me wondering how many on this thread ever watch/attend a game:

What do you call Alex Gonzales, who had previously played in all of 1 game all season long, getting 3 starts in a row this late in the season for our team leader in errors? You guys are sitting here complaining about Trout not doing the exact things he actually is doing and don't even realize it.

For the record, I'm not even completely sold on Trout just yet. And I try to stay away from here when we lose a bunch cause I know I'm gonna read some nonsense, but holy hell guys at least try and have a semblance of a clue before you type.
I remember the days when we’d get excited at 25+ win seasons. I’ll take 36 wins with growing pains errors any day with that type of record. ✊🏼

Thanks for the breakdown @_x_.

TomGIBill

M&G Collective Member

I'm sold on Trout. I think he's a good coach on the field and even better off the field.

I've been bitching about errors all season. I've even mentioned them when we win even though we "led" in errors.

I do appreciate the breakdown. I hope folks actually read the whole thing.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
NO! I want 50+ win seasons every year and a bunch of CWS banners to hang. And a San Marcos Regional of 1. TXST 2. A&M 3.UH 4.RICE. We kick the shit outa all of em, host TCU in super regional, kick the crap out of them and throw their HC out of a game for nothing to rerun the favor. Then proceed to eliminate UT and Tech on way to our first CWS championship.
Oh and enough fans in the stands to demand a full wrap around or dang near full wrap around ballpark.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member

In all seriousness this is well written and thanks for talking some of us off the ledge 😂. I know it looks like a TON of errors at 1B but not all of those have been good throws. Also pretty sure Pena has been playing with a hurt Ankle half the season.

I missed the Gonzales play because we’ll I have a 3 and a 4 year old so I get easily distracted, but the play that pissed me off the most was the dropped fly ball when Leary and the SS didn’t call each other off, and drop pop up resulted in 2 runs and a continued inning with which I think 2 more runs scored instead of getting the 3rd out on pop up.IIRC that was the difference that game

Last edited:

TomGIBill

M&G Collective Member
In all seriousness this is well written and thanks for talking some of us off the ledge 😂. I know it looks like a TON of errors at 1B but not all of those have been good throws. Also pretty sure Pena has been playing with a hurt Ankle half the season.

I missed the Gonzales play because we’ll I have a 3 and a 4 year old so I get easily distracted, but the play that pissed me off the most was the dropped fly ball when Leary and the SS didn’t call each other off, and drop pop up resulted in 2 runs and a continued inning with which I think 2 more runs scored instead of getting the 3rd out on pop up.IIRC that was the difference that game
I'm watching from Thailand so I'm behind the curve

carmanjello325

Leary and the SS didn’t call each other off, and drop pop up resulted in 2 runs and a continued inning with which I think 2 more runs scored instead of getting the 3rd out on pop up.IIRC that was the difference that game
ull hit a line drive to rf, we got leather on it and 2 runs scored including the guy on 1st. it wasnt an easy catch but it was one that had to be made assuming it was ruled a hit when it was borderline. where i come from if you get leather on it you better make the catch. sometimes the better approach is to keep the ball in front of you even if that ball drops on a tough play rather than going for it and letting it roll to the wall with no one behind you. the team seems to be scared of making catches at the fence/wall too, that should have all been resolved in hs so that could prob be bucketed as an item that isnt being coached as well. the balls that we let hit off the fence/wall we always seem to horribly misjudge the bounce/ricochet that gets extra bases or scores someone from 1st.