New President…

Someone

Tech really does not use Angelo in that way....the admissions metrics for Tech are not massively high and Tech does not even have higher admissions for some popular programs....they probably should be working towards that, but they have not as of yet

In addition there is plenty of room in the Tech campus for more enrollment, but the issue for them is they are not going to take a jump to the next level of enrollment unless they do one of two things.....increase their admissions metrics while also increasing their academic reputation to be extremely desirable or they throw open admissions and just grow to grow.......right now they have basically stalled on growth for the most part, but they seem unwilling to make the needed changes to admissions (that might cause a decline in enrollment for a bit) to bump up their academic reputation.....and unfortunately for them their rankings are stagnant or even slightly declining......they will need to address that sooner than later or they will have issues

Tech also has MidWestern in their system now, but the attention there is on growth, cost controls, and expanding degree programs that are in demand not setting it up to be a feeder for Tech

for Texas State there is not going to be a time when there will be a "feeder school" because of the nature of the Texas State University System where no campus is a flagship and where the universities lobby the legislature for themselves the system does not do it for them.....no member of the TSUS will ever allow any other member to set them up as a feeder especially Texas State U.....the system does not have the ability to tell some that they need to keep their enrollment requirements at any particular level or coordinate transfers with any other for the benefit of only one of them over the other

vp98

The assured admissions standards for Texas Tech are somewhat higher than for Texas State. The relationship between the TSUS universities is usually more competitive than cooperative although they will band together on issues that are obviously of mutual interest. I favor that type of system over a flagship system as that means they are all on equal footing and do not get screwed like non-flagship members of the UT and A&M systems. UT has the Coordinated Admissions Program (CAP) designed for students who go to another UT System school for at least a year and then transfer into UT Austin. That program may give universities such as UTA and UTSA an advantage over a TSUS university. I know we are not hurting as we have had record enrollment every year since 2020 and for decades before COVID but that program yields good students to UT feeder schools. Most students I know in that program do not transfer but stay at their initial university, though some do transfer and I have also known students who have transferred from Texas State to UT Austin. I have known even more students who completed their Bachelor's Degree at Texas State and then went to UT Austin or another elite university for graduate studies.