New President…

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
It's my understanding that he would have been entitled to a $100k longevity bonus if he had stayed there until July 1st. He left on June 30th

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
I've seen a few A-State people crying about this too, but it looks like they got a $20k discount with him leaving a day earlier.

They may be mistaking a yearly contract renewal as meaning his contract was up when he left.

PSX_20220809_103022.jpg

Bullcat

KD took the time to introduce himself and shake hands with folks at Tailgate Central on Saturday. Another good gesture on his part to meet alumni, fans, and supporters of Bobcat athletics. I and many others appreciate what he is doing for Bobcat athletics after only two months on the job.

Brutus

M&G Collective Member
My new season ticket neighbors inquired as to why there was not a parachute drop with the football before the game.

The answer is easy, KD has not obtained his license to do so, and once he has it he will be dropping out of that plane...
Word on the street is he's undergoing a condensed basic jump course at Ft. Benning and will be doing a HALO jump with the Army's Golden Knights on or before homecoming.

...ok, I made that up. 😎 I like our new prez.

Pintail45

M&G Gift Contributor
:LOL: 5 interesting facts about President Damphousse:

1. KD can do a wheelie on a unicycle
2. KD can clap with one hand
3. KD doesn't breathe, he holds air hostage
4. KD spices up his steaks with pepper spray
5. KD is the only man to ever defeat a brick wall in a game of tennis

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
Kelly Damphousse knows well that higher education can transform lives. He's a living example of its power.

He's a first-generation college student, who, while growing up in rural Alberta, Canada, never gave much thought to higher ed.

But after a stint as a prison guard, a slew of degrees and decades of academic work all over the central United States, Damphousse earlier this year became the 10th president of Texas State University.

"I actually measure my life before my college degree and after my college degree, because my opportunities expanded tremendously," he said.

The Texas State position puts Damphousse in charge of an institution with more than 38,000 students, about 4,500 full-time employees and an estimated $2 billion annual economic impact on the state. Damphousse's priorities include boosting Texas State's standing as a research institution. That led to his "Run to R1" campaign, which refers to the top-tier "R1" designation on the list of research universities maintained by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Texas currently has 11 R1 schools and Damphousse thinks Texas State can join the club by 2027.

Damphousse has acclimated well to life in Texas. He earned a master's degree and a Ph.D. from Texas A&M University. He loves football and was hoarse during a recent interview after cheering the Bobcats on during an away game. And he's soaked up the culture — he credits the George Strait song "Amarillo By Morning" as one of the most significant motivations in his career, "because that cowboy never gave up."

Damphousse was a recent guest on the Texas Business Minds podcast. Check out the episode in the player above, or wherever you get podcasts. Below are some excerpts from our conversation.

On the push to become an R1 school: "I get asked that question a lot, about 'why R1?' Because people — especially people who work here and people who graduate from here — love what Texas State has been doing. And there is, I think, a natural concern about, will we lose focus on our central mission, which has been teaching undergraduates, over time? And the tight connection that our faculty having with our students. I have been meeting with alumni over the past 100 days as I've been on the job, and everywhere I've gone, alumni have shared with me stories about how they had a relationship with a faculty member who stood in the gap for them and mentored them and so on. So we never want to lose that. But we also want to think about what we can add to our economy, add to our university. We're in the business of changing lives, not just of the students who come here, but the people we interact with — that includes our employers, our industry leaders, our local, state, county municipalities — in ways that we think we can add value to what they're doing, through what our faculty are doing. By becoming a 'research one' university, we will evolve into something that is an even greater economic engine for not just this community but for our entire state."

On enrolling a large number of Hispanic students: "Forty-four percent of our freshman class is Hispanic — for the first time, we actually have more Hispanics in our freshman class than any other demographic group. What's important here is that many of these students, not all of them, but many of them are first-generation college students. They may be first-generation Americans as well. But we know that a four-year college degree can change the lives of the young people who come into our community. Because a four-year college degree can set them up to have an incredible life experience and actually provide more life chances for them, more opportunities to grow into and to develop over time. ... But it's not just the individuals who come and get their degree. Oftentimes, it's their siblings who then become motivated or inspired to get a four-year college degree. And then their children and their children's children's — this is a multi-generational impact that we have. ... We are looking at enrolling more students of Hispanic/Latino origin, but also serving them and graduating them at a higher rate as well, because we believe that we have a duty for any student who comes here to help them to graduate."

On online learning: "There's a huge opportunity for us to reach out to people who can't get to San Marcos or Round Rock easily, that are place bound, but also time bound. They've got families and they've got jobs, they want to finish a degree or add a degree or some training to their portfolio. We can provide that opportunity to them as well. We think that's obviously a growth opportunity for us and it provides another opportunity for us to engage with the people of this state, to provide them the kinds of training and education that will prepare them for the new world in front of us. Many of our students graduated with a degree from us 20 or 30 years ago, and the world has changed tremendously. They may be excited about the opportunity to engage in that, but they don't know how to get there."

On advice he would offer to his younger self: "It would have been to give myself the courage to keep going because there were times in 1984, when I decided to move to Texas to go to school — it took me a whole year to get my life together — and there were times along the way when I thought, 'This isn't going to happen.' And I was lucky, I had a lot of social support from my parents who wanted me to go back and a friend who wanted me to go back and my former instructor who has encouraged me to go on and get my degree.
... There's a lot of young people in the world, and older people as well, who aren't being given that encouragement, who aren't being told about the value of a four-year college degree. In fact, what they're being told is that college isn't worth it. I've dedicated my life to repaying the five people that changed my life, by encouraging young people to know that it is worth it, that there's a way to get there, that there's financial and academic support to help you be successful when you get to college. And that the rewards beyond that, beyond the income that you can generate ... open up a world of opportunity that you wouldn't understand or know is possible until you start seeking that. And so the story of my life ... has turned now from being the recipient of people investing in me, to turn that on the table now and to me to start investing in other people."