Realignment Super Thread

Bobcats2011

Screw FSU, Can't stand them especially when Jimbo was there. I'm a Florida grad.
Username checks out.

I don’t mind them, we share the same colors but I can definitely understand why wouldn’t like them. As a gator fan I gotta ask who do y’all hate more, the U or FSU?

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Since the University of Florida is the Texas Longhorns of Florida, what's it like to live on both sides of the street?

TXST04

FSU Hands down
(Former Gator here as well)
Funny, b/c I agree with you about it being FSU, but I'm also an late Gen X'er. If you were to ask them earlier GenX'ers folks, they would claim it to be Miami.
Apparently prior to 1977, FSU was like TXST; the laughable loser to Florida and similar to UT / TXST of today, they were not perceived to be equals. Once Bobby Bowden started winning consistently in the 80s/90s is when that rivalry amped up and the tides changed.

Since the University of Florida is the Texas Longhorns of Florida, what's it like to live on both sides of the street?
Have to say that yes the arrogance and perceived prestige of being a Gator is on par with UT's arrogance here in Texas.
Funny thing is that when I attended Florida, I hated Garnet & Gold... but now that I am a TXST Sicko, I want TXST to emulate FSU by following the path they took; i.e. beating team bully teams on the field or court to earn that respect and change the perception. I know that it will take decades to see TXST/UT being spoken about like FSU/UF is now; but I'd love to see it happen before I pass.

However shifting gears a bit, the state of Florida from what I know didn't or currently doesn't have a Permanent University Fund like barrier of entry for other in-state schools. Therefore the rise of FSU in popularity in the 80s/90s didn't have our unique State Funding disparity issue to grow the brand. That is likely why more recently UCF, South Florida, and to a lesser extend FAU have seen a increase in popularity (excluded FIU - because like UTSA - its a glorified community college).

Another obstacle to it all (besides unequal state funding allocation and decades of student apathy ), boils down to TV exposure. The top tier brand schools have been on over the air TV / cable / prime channels and local sports news outlets for decades. As a Gen Xer, I grew up easily influenced by what was on television, and my influential years were during the Steve Spurrier days and eventually solidified when I got accepted to Florida. I still hear stuff from other Sickos today that they still root UT/A&M because they grew up watching the rivalry and picked a side. For me it wasn't until after graduating that the Cats won me over. It was that 2005 GaSo Playoff game that still to this day is the best football game experience in my lifetime. It was then when I was provided a glimpse of the potential that TXST could muster up (dare I say - the sleeping giant). Nowadays - I do whatever I can to promote the TXST brand and root for the underdogs in college athletics, with the intent that one day TXST will be perceived to be on an equal level as those other brands.

TomGIBill

M&G Collective Member
(Former Gator here as well)
Funny, b/c I agree with you about it being FSU, but I'm also an late Gen X'er. If you were to ask them earlier GenX'ers folks, they would claim it to be Miami.
Apparently prior to 1977, FSU was like TXST; the laughable loser to Florida and similar to UT / TXST of today, they were not perceived to be equals. Once Bobby Bowden started winning consistently in the 80s/90s is when that rivalry amped up and the tides changed.

Have to say that yes the arrogance and perceived prestige of being a Gator is on par with UT's arrogance here in Texas.
Funny thing is that when I attended Florida, I hated Garnet & Gold... but now that I am a TXST Sicko, I want TXST to emulate FSU by following the path they took; i.e. beating team bully teams on the field or court to earn that respect and change the perception. I know that it will take decades to see TXST/UT being spoken about like FSU/UF is now; but I'd love to see it happen before I pass.

However shifting gears a bit, the state of Florida from what I know didn't or currently doesn't have a Permanent University Fund like barrier of entry for other in-state schools. Therefore the rise of FSU in popularity in the 80s/90s didn't have our unique State Funding disparity issue to grow the brand. That is likely why more recently UCF, South Florida, and to a lesser extend FAU have seen a increase in popularity (excluded FIU - because like UTSA - its a glorified community college).

Another obstacle to it all (besides unequal state funding allocation and decades of student apathy ), boils down to TV exposure. The top tier brand schools have been on over the air TV / cable / prime channels and local sports news outlets for decades. As a Gen Xer, I grew up easily influenced by what was on television, and my influential years were during the Steve Spurrier days and eventually solidified when I got accepted to Florida. I still hear stuff from other Sickos today that they still root UT/A&M because they grew up watching the rivalry and picked a side. For me it wasn't until after graduating that the Cats won me over. It was that 2005 GaSo Playoff game that still to this day is the best football game experience in my lifetime. It was then when I was provided a glimpse of the potential that TXST could muster up (dare I say - the sleeping giant). Nowadays - I do whatever I can to promote the TXST brand and root for the underdogs in college athletics, with the intent that one day TXST will be perceived to be on an equal level as those other brands.
This last paragraph may be the best paragraph I've read here. Eat'em Up!

Jecbobcat

I grew up an FSU fan but my brother went to Gatorland... Other than "Wide Right" never cared much about the U other than when we played them... The U is like Tech to UT... We really only care about them if they are on the schedule... And they are decent.

I know how much UF hates the Noles, but living in Jacksonville I went to the Florida/Georgia game every year. Still wore my FSU stuff but always appreciated the rivalry and good football. That week the hatred for them was borderline as strong as FSU, but FSU was the more consistent rivalry.

I would compare the following :
UF is UT
FSU is A&M
Georgia is OU

franslasttwinkie

Pretty fair analogy. UF’s last 12 win season was 2009 and so was UT’s until this past season. Unlike Aggy, FSU is on the uptick since their ‘17-21 seasons and Aggy is on decline since their Covid season. SEC East had probably comparable success to Big 12 when Tenn and Mizzou were down and before UCF/UH/Cinci were added for Big12.

Last edited:

TXST04

Obviously decades from now after playing several games, it would be funny at some point for UT to claim TXST as a secondary rival (behind OU) as a direct dismissal of A&M.
Unlikely that will ever happen now that they will be playing annually moving forward; unless A&M decides it wants to jump to the Big Ten like some of their fans are saying online. :LOL:

atxman

Those student fees at JMU. Hard to argue with success, I suppose, but ouch. Question: Where does the funding for “institutional support” come from?