Realignment Super Thread

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Bunch of opinions being thrown around and sadly that's been (and always will be) the problem with FBS CFB.
Polls are opinion based; Who gets exposure (ex Colorado) or on TV is opinion based.
Even in the FCS, opinions determine the playoff field when not an automatic bid; teams determined by a selection committee (look at 8-2 UIW being left out).
Until the on-field objectivity is the above all determining factor, then CFB is just going to be subject to brand recognition, ratings and enable the same 4-7 teams year in year out.

By the way -
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”
― Simone Elkeles
:ROFLMAO:
This.

I wanted to respond to several points made in this thread, but at the end of the day it's all opinions. One person looks at the FSU win over Louisville and says it's a different team and not a good win, another looks at it and says they played a top 15 team and had outstanding defense.

At the end of the day, we need a system that is empirical and objective not subjective. Until we have a true playoff with all conferences getting an auto bid, it'll never be equitable.

Jecbobcat

This.

I wanted to respond to several points made in this thread, but at the end of the day it's all opinions. One person looks at the FSU win over Louisville and says it's a different team and not a good win, another looks at it and says they played a top 15 team and had outstanding defense.

At the end of the day, we need a system that is empirical and objective not subjective. Until we have a true playoff with all conferences getting an auto bid, it'll never be equitable.
Agreed... And UT sucks.

Bobcat1

I used to be a huge FSU fan growing up, so I say this viewed through that prism: it was no surprise that they would take their ball and go home when a few months ago they (through the ACC) had voted to keep the CFP at four teams so as to not invite schools like TXST to the big boy’s table with a 12 team playoff.

It was only when it bit them in the @$$ that they then cried foul. Zero pity for them having to lie in the bed of their own creation.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39161391/florida-state-vs-acc-grant-rights-lawsuit-questions-answered

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
See. They didn’t deserve a playoff spot.
27 opt outs including most of their starters. The truth is, the decision by the committee means we'll never actually know if Florida State could have won the championship this year.

We have to go to an objective, on field results only model for the playoff or it'll never mean anything.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
We have to go to an objective, on field results only model for the playoff or it'll never mean anything.
You're not wrong, but that's not what we have this year.

UGA is missing 20+ players as well. The reality is FSU wasn't going to compete w/o their QB. Sucks for them to get snubbed, but 5 into 4 means someone deserving loses, and this is why they are playing today and not Monday. Doesn't help their case when Louisville got absolutely destroyed by USC. It's bad luck more than anything else. Would have been awesome to see the SEC on the outside looking in with Travis healthy.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
The reality is FSU wasn't going to compete w/o their QB.
Here's the problem, that's an unprovable opinion. I can argue that an FSU team with no opt outs playing in the playoff, even with Travis out, would have easily beat the other teams in the playoff. Their defense is solid (with no opt outs and having something to play for) and 1 QB doesn't make a team. That's 1 player out of 11 on offense.

That's all I'm trying to say. We'll never know because we have a subjective system that uses opinion instead of results to decide a champion.

Jecbobcat

See. They didn’t deserve a playoff spot.
Ha. Told you.

There's mention of the fact that Georgia didn't have a lot of their starters too. I didn't look it up and didn't feel like so, but the announcers discussed how Georgia was all in and didn't have a lot of opt out.

FSU's defense was solid with a lot of NFL prospects. They had a lot of freshman playing in this game and there wasn't really a ton of desire to make plays. I noticed a lot of jogging on the defense

Bobcat1

Here's the problem, that's an unprovable opinion. I can argue that an FSU team with no opt outs playing in the playoff, even with Travis out, would have easily beat the other teams in the playoff. Their defense is solid (with no opt outs and having something to play for) and 1 QB doesn't make a team. That's 1 player out of 11 on offense.

That's all I'm trying to say. We'll never know because we have a subjective system that uses opinion instead of results to decide a champion.
No, they wouldn’t have. They’d have maybe…maybe…kept it close for a while, but yes, one QB makes a team and with a FR taking snaps they would have gotten blown out eventually. Maybe not 63-3, but probably in the 45-10 range. Particularly with ***this*** type of QB production.

Louisville exposed FSU as a flawed team in the ACC championship, and it was a painful game to watch to the end.

Georgia just provided the coup de grace to any claim they would have had as a legit contender today. A lot of defensive players likely opted out because they prob didn’t want to have bad tape on their resume from Georgia blasting the defense into oblivion in a nationally televised game.

B

Bakertxst04

I can see why fans are torn on this one. Yes, they have a conference for football now, but their olympic sports are going to be travelling a lot more. Their biggest sports are basketball and ice hockey, and I'm not sure that the MAC is a good fit for those programs.

Then again, most of college sports alignment makes no sense at the moment.

franslasttwinkie

Umass football history is very similar to TXST's from 2015-2022. However, if MAC wasn't a good fit back in 2015 for them I don't see why it would be any better of a fit today. Umass, the school that put Coach Cal on the map. I bet there are many questions about why they brought the football program back in the first place after 106 years much like why Withers and Spav were declared qualified to keep a new program with only 2 decent FBS seasons prior afloat.