TJ Gets a Well Deserved Extension

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member

Surprised no one had commented on this yet. Congrats to TJ!

I'd love to know how much he's getting. I saw UNTs dude is getting over a million. I pray we're somewhere north of 750k but I doubt it.

franslasttwinkie

Matchup predictor has us ending the season 7-11 in conference after finishing out 4-8. That record would have been good for about 9th last season before the addition of the 4 new teams. An NIT bid is starting to get out of reach and punching a NCAA bid in a 14-team league doesn't look realistic either. How many more seasons of TJ do we have to weather the storm through? Through March 2025 it seems at least and the OT NIT game against UNT last season is probably enough to hang his hat on for a good while too.

slycat

The guy one season removed from back to back regular season champs when they hadn't done that in decades? Yeah he will see his whole contract unless the regression gets worse and worse. Look how many wanted to fire Trout after 2021 and then look what happened in 2022.

franslasttwinkie

Yeah, no that's fair but Trout was also a big piece of our 2019 season as an assistant where we finished with a 53 RPI and he had a strong shortened 2020 season when he made his HC debut. So he (Trout) had that to fall back on but the collapse also happened in Trout's 1st full season calling the shots, this is TJ's 3rd full season calling the shots so not really the same.

slycat

Sooner or later people are going to realize how meaningless an accomplishment this was.
I guess? Shows the team was pretty good over the course of a season vs getting hot in the conference tournament.

Sure a tournament is more important from a recruiting standpoint but I think it shows the team was pretty good under Johnson. Though App St making the play-in game and losing probably isn't great.

Being a one bid league makes the regular season more forgettable. But this team could easily go on a run during the conference tournament and play spoilers.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Being a one bid league makes the regular season more forgettable.
Agreed - that's kind of my point. Being the best regular season team in a very mid conference isn't something to be lauded as excellence, especially when the goal is to win the tournament.
But this team could easily go on a run during the conference tournament and play spoilers.
0-2 in the SBC Tournament the past 2 years says otherwise, but I'd love to see it happen. More to win it than play spoiler, but really I'd just like to see a tournament win for the good guys.

slycat

0-2 in the SBC Tournament the past 2 years says otherwise, but I'd love to see it happen. More to win it than play spoiler, but really I'd just like to see a tournament win for the good guys.
I hope they do better without the pressure.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Sooner or later people are going to realize how meaningless an accomplishment this was.
Meaningless is overboard. It's not meaningless - winning a lot is never meaningless. It's that it's not the goal, and not even a necessary milepost to reaching the true goal.

franslasttwinkie

Sunbelt conference is a very weak basketball league.
Agreed so you would think that if you are actually a decent team in a not-very-good league you would punch the auto-bid ticket every 4-5 years, just my 2pennies. 14-team league makes it tougher I guess sure but in a league that finishes very few sub-100 net ranked teams it shouldn't be that unreasonable of an ask.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Starting in 2016-17 when we finally got decent, through last season, no team has won more regular season conference games than TXST.
Only once during that time has the team that won the most regular season games also won the conference tournament.

edit: 19-20 should have the box around UALR, not ULM, for Reg Season. There was no tournament that year.

Last edited:

TXST

Starting in 2016-17 when we finally got decent, through last season, no team has won more regular season conference games than TXST.
Only once during that time has the team that won the most regular season games also won the conference tournament.

edit: 19-20 should have the box around UALR, not ULM, for Reg Season. There was no tournament that year.

View attachment 4230
So youre saying there's a chanceee

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
I’ve griped about this before on this board about how there is too much of an emphasis on end of the season conference tourneys and how they decide who gets to go to the NCAA tournaments. It’s almost as if the long, grueling season means absolutely nothing. Being regular season conference champions is nice and all, but ultimately what does it matter if you don’t get to go to the big dance? Selecting NCAA tournament teams based on conference tournament champs probably weakens the tournament overall, at least for the lower seeded teams.

Conference tournaments should really only feature a few of the top teams. In the case of the SBC, maybe the top 4, two from each division. While it was nice to see us play so well in the SBC tournament, we honestly did not even deserve to be there in the first place based on the crappy regular season we had.