TJ Gets a Well Deserved Extension

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting buyout structure for TJ. Definitely in his favor. TXST could have owed as high as 75% to TJ for terminating the contract vs TJ owing as high as 30%...

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
TXST would owe approximately $685K in buyout to TJ if they fired him after April 1st of this year.

TXST would owe approximately $685K in buyout to TJ if they fired him after April 1st of this year.
Getting rid of that loser would be the best 685k investment TXST could ever make in athletics. Looking at his shameful lack of recruiting effort, he seems to know his shot clock is winding down and is basically quiet-quitting. There’s zero recruiting, no half-time adjustments, no passion on the bench. Enough.

slycat

Getting rid of that loser would be the best 685k investment TXST could ever make in athletics. Looking at his shameful lack of recruiting effort, he seems to know his shot clock is winding down and is basically quiet-quitting. There’s zero recruiting, no half-time adjustments, no passion on the bench. Enough.
We get it you hate the man. But you're whining is so much worse than him losing.

bigred24

I would hope they do April 1st of this year. But looking at that contract, I imagine he will be coaching next year.

atxman

His contract two years ago seemed justified at the time. He had maintained Kaspar’s momentum his first two years, winning the West his first and finishing first in the regular season conference standings his second. We hadn’t done that since the ‘90s. No doubt there’s been serious regression since then, which seems to require a change. But that buyout would be painful.

carmanjello325

bingo
then hed be owed somewhere in the 600-800k range today.
But that buyout would be painful.
eh withers salary was 250k higher and somehow the final 2 years were bought out though now it peaks my interest if that is still in the process of being paid off. the best thing that happened in withers 3 seasons was beating a winning ohio on the road. probably about the equivalent of excitement as tj winning the meaningless god awful sbc regular season in basketball in 4 seasons.the buyout that would be owed april 1 is pretty dang close to what ew was owed

franslasttwinkie

Well that makes perfect sense. TJ gets 20K to go to the NIT while Kinne gets just 25K to go to a bowl game. TJ gets 25K to be a regular season Co-champ and GJ only gets $25K to win the west. GJ inherited a team that had just won 33% of their games and was hired to compete in a quality conference and TJ inherited a team that had just won 66% of their games including making it to the conference semi final game.

Bobcats2011

or better yet why do we write up contracts that we cannot afford. trout was extended somewhere in the 220k range and tj somewhere around the 400k range if he has 3 or 3.5 yrs left on a 5 yr contract in which we are on the hook for 50% then hed be owed somewhere in the 600-800k range today.
That’s unfortunate that basketball is considered a bigger money earner than baseball because in my eyes trout definitely deserves more than TJ but I know that’s not how it works in college.
curious what the average attendance numbers look like for the 2 sports at end of baseball season…

bigred24

It's interesting to me that college baseball isn't a bigger deal. MLB is huge and most likely has a larger average attendance than the NBA.
MLB definitely has a larger attendance, their stadiums hold significantly more people than NBA arenas. I saw this graph, from 2022 though.

NBA is much closer to filling their arenas then MLB though.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
It's interesting to me that college baseball isn't a bigger deal.
Baseball is the most boring of the Big 4, even at the highest level, and the dropoff in quality is pretty steep as you drop down the levels. We're a pretty decent program overall and in single games, we can compete vs the best, but not so much over a full season, and certainly not over X amount of years. Now, think about being a fan of ULM or ARST and how miserable that experience is. Half the time you're watching your crap team get beat like a drum and the other half your watching a competition between your terrible team and another terrible team. Now think about the fact that there are 100 teams worse than ARST. IMO, college baseball is only a quality experience if you're a fan of the top 50 or so programs, and for maybe 16-50, only about half the time. There's a LOT of bad baseball being played out there.

MLB is huge and most likely has a larger average attendance than the NBA.
That's a venue issue, imo. If we were building NBA arenas w/ 45K seats, you'd fill them no problem.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
I wish there was more scarcity of games in both MLB and the NBA. I think that's what makes the NFL so great is that since there are relatively few games and they're generally on the same day of the week the games are bigger events with individual wins and losses having much more meaning. Makes it a lot easier to keep up with as well.