TJ Gets a Well Deserved Extension

vp98

Conference tournaments should really only feature a few of the top teams. In the case of the SBC, maybe the top 4, two from each division. While it was nice to see us play so well in the SBC tournament, we honestly did not even deserve to be there in the first place based on the crappy regular season we had.
I disagree. Our MBB played their best ball of the season in the tournament. The post season is what counts in most sports at most levels. Look at the NFL, the hot team going into the playoffs usually makes it to the final. I'm not saying disregard the regular season I just like teams getting another shot in post season.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
It's just how American sports work. We love playoffs to determine our ultimate champions in this country. Does it really make sense to play a 162 game MLB season to have playoffs determine the World Series champion? With 1-game wildcard playoffs the last few years even??

Truth is its not really about crowning the best team. it's about creating excitement. Which I think the NCAA basketball format does. I love March Madness and I love Champ Week. If our regular season champ went straight to the NCAAs or only the top 4-8 teams made the conference tournament our season would've functionally been over weeks ago and what's left to play for? I like every game continuing to mean something even during down years.

I take much much more pride in regular season championships than most fans on this board. They really mean something to me as a fan. I wish more people felt that way and we may hear less of the narrative of the regular season being meaningless with this post-season format. That said, I'd also slaughter a crate of baby kittens for an NCAA tournament invite in men's basketball also so trust me when I say I understand the frustration. Everyone really in the end just wants a format that gets your team there.

Ultimately I'm of the opinion the format for post-season in men's NCAA basketball and baseball is about damn near perfect. You just have to realize its not really about crowning the truly best team champion. It's about the Madness man.

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
@_x_ , I totally agree with you about the NCAA tournaments for baseball and basketball. Both are great and exciting!
My argument is that the best teams don't always make it because of the emphasis on conference tournaments. Which is unfortunate.

B

Bakertxst04

And I agree with LTK. She had a really good year and one of the best seasons that this school has experienced. It would look bad on the school not to capitalize on the momentum that our program has after this season. I remember Don saying during his interview on State's Up last summer, that while he extended both Trout and TJ, he wanted to provide some additional support to Spav and Z and see how they would progress over the season before coming to a decision on their contracts.

Coach Z demonstrated that she is willing to fight for an extension and raise on her contract.

Spav more or less left it in neutral and blamed the poor facilties for his record.

We'll see what next year brings us. At least now I have faith that Don and KD will make the right choice if it comes down to it.

carmanjello325

or better yet why do we write up contracts that we cannot afford. trout was extended somewhere in the 220k range and tj somewhere around the 400k range if he has 3 or 3.5 yrs left on a 5 yr contract in which we are on the hook for 50% then hed be owed somewhere in the 600-800k range today.

atxman

Having a hard time finding a current list of Sun Belt and mid-major salaries for men’s basketball coaches, but lists I see from 2019 and 2021 indicate we pay somewhere around or even below average. So if we can’t afford even that, then we have an even bigger problem.

or better yet why do we write up contracts that we cannot afford. trout was extended somewhere in the 220k range and tj somewhere around the 400k range if he has 3 or 3.5 yrs left on a 5 yr contract in which we are on the hook for 50% then hed be owed somewhere in the 600-800k range today.
If lazy TJ is getting anything more than minimum wage he's stealing money. Too bad SWT is too poor to buy out his shiftless ass and move on.

carmanjello325

the buyout is only one thing. itll be the 500-600k min needed to get a new coach with a pulse in the door that has a chance to participate in the post season field of 64. although at this point i doubt its a job that any coach who checks those boxes has circled on their calendar

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like the Sun Belt provides a unique opportunity for basketball. It's really not a great basketball conference and it seems like if you invest in basketball, you could be dominant with less resources than it might take in another more powerful basketball conference. Not sure how we make that happen with the current focus on fixing our football program, but maybe after our football program is solid we will be bringing in more revenue that can help build our basketball program.

slycat

the buyout is only one thing. itll be the 500-600k min needed to get a new coach with a pulse in the door that has a chance to participate in the post season field of 64. although at this point i doubt its a job that any coach who checks those boxes has circled on their calendar
You just asked why TXST writes contracts they can't afford and then say they need to pay the next coach more.