2020 Commitments

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXSTGrad03

Memphis has lost 2-3 QBs in the last 2 years and the current transfer that won the job just got another year of eligibility so that likely played a part in him leaving. Not sure but I'm sure it played some part.

I don't think anyone expects him to come in this fall and win although trying to make him eligible right now for fall does indicate that they are considering it. I really doubt he'll come in and win the job but then again... if no one else is "winning" it... it doesn't hurt.

I am wondering who he knows in that we jumped on this quickly. I'm guessing either Stitt (location since he was at OSU) or Zac (Klingsbury staff and Zac known to be very good as recruiting lead) at TT knew of him. It could make the current QBs concerned but then again... Brady beats them... what does that say about our QBs?
I never said transferring was bad, the kid has to look out for himself. I just don’t like the timing of starting camp with one team, didn’t work out and just jumped to another. Nothing against him, it’s just my thoughts on the current college football transfer situation. I think at the time of transfer you should probably have to sit out the fall. He might be a great QB or might not.

As far as connections, I believe his dad was HC/AD at Coppell HS and he had a prior offer from TXST. I bet he got on the transfer portal and probably reached out to TXST. Spav has said in the past he would take as many QBs as he could.

Also, I’m all for a QB competition. The best should rise to the top.

TXSTGrad03

I never said transferring was bad, the kid has to look out for himself. I just don’t like the timing of starting camp with one team, didn’t work out and just jumped to another. Nothing against him, it’s just my thoughts on the current college football transfer situation. I think at the time of transfer you should probably have to sit out the fall. He might be a great QB or might not.

As far as connections, I believe his dad was HC/AD at Coppell HS and he had a prior offer from TXST. I bet he got on the transfer portal and probably reached out to TXST. Spav has said in the past he would take as many QBs as he could.

Also, I’m all for a QB competition. The best should rise to the top.
Just wanted to clarify, I’m fine with him transferring, but at the time he did I don’t think he should be eligible for the fall. But, if he is that’s great and if he’s the best QB and can run the Offense the best why not play. I just want us to play our best team and win games.

Bobkat34

TXSTgrad03... totally agree with you on the transfer portal crap. It happens already in all the big cities in Houston/Dallas where kids leave schools to go play at a more popular one or the private schools like in Florida. So they are used to moving around and now NCAA is allowing it too much IMO.

Bobcat87

IF McBride can come in, and with the time he has until the season begins, win the starting QB role, and get a waiver from the regulatory powers that be . . . then play him. Play the hell out of him. It’s not like the QB position has been one of “strength” the past few years.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, I agree. IF he comes in, gets cleared to play, and wins the job, play him. I highly doubt that happens though. I doubt he gets cleared for this year, I doubt he learns the system in just a few weeks, I doubt that he gains the respect and trust if the team to build a synergy, etc.... Just highly unlikely all of that occurs. So, in reality we're looking at next season anyways.

I have no knowledge of how transfer rules are applied, but couldn't Memphis allow him to become immediately eligible?

Edit: NVM. just read on Keff's twitter that they're going to try to get a waiver, but won't know for some time.
Wasnt he at memphis this fa
Yea, I agree. IF he comes in, gets cleared to play, and wins the job, play him. I highly doubt that happens though. I doubt he gets cleared for this year, I doubt he learns the system in just a few weeks, I doubt that he gains the respect and trust if the team to build a synergy, etc.... Just highly unlikely all of that occurs. So, in reality we're looking at next season anyways.
Does anybody know if he was at practice today?

Bobkat34

Well... I think this is more about practice squad (scout team) talent. Right now, we have Chase and 2 other PWOs... image adding him that helps the defense prepare each week. It is a big deal. A&M still says the 2 transfer RBs that sat out that year helped them prepare for the game they beat Bama with Johnny Football. Scout team talent does matter when preparing for the next opponent.

I'll take him for that and next spring he's competing for the job... unless someone takes over and takes us bowling...

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Scout team talent does matter when preparing for the next opponent.
That's a really good point that I hadn't considered. I'm happy for the pick up regardless. I think even a second stringer at Memphis has a ton of talent for the Belt. Especially one that was backing up a 3000 yard QB.

LSU Bobcat

I get bringing in more talent and letting the most talented person play, but this addition just seems odd to me. Maybe he'll have to sit out a year and light it up for us for two years and it'll work out. But we have 3 FR QBs, 2 SO, and 1 JR already. Adding a SO with two years left to play makes it seem like they're not too happy with QB play. Those Fr QBs will all most likely get redshirted. I could see vitt, gipson, and jensen all playing, so no redshirt for any of them. Are they really hoping this kid can be immediately eligible and possibly start? He's way behind the curve compared to the other QBs.

Sort of related sort of not. I just seem to have more questions than answers after the last couple of weeks. No answer to QB competition. Some talk of how good OLine is looking and the offense lays a turd during the first scrimmage. Defense looks great, but does that also mean DBs look good? I'd love to have our DBs finally play well. Or is the defense winning due to offensive ineptitude? Maybe why they're making a desperation move by bringing in a very last minute addition.

Bobkat34

If you check out the QB list on 24/7, most are gone to other schools and sure they may still bring in another HS QB but if Gibson moves positions... seems highly likely that it will be permanent (something I think Willie Jones should have done... he's not playing in NFL at QB) we'll need more than just 3 ship QBs. Jake said he likes about 5 QBs from some of his early interviews. He likes having a lot in the room. Make them earn it EACH week/season.

TXSTGrad03

I get bringing in more talent and letting the most talented person play, but this addition just seems odd to me. Maybe he'll have to sit out a year and light it up for us for two years and it'll work out. But we have 3 FR QBs, 2 SO, and 1 JR already. Adding a SO with two years left to play makes it seem like they're not too happy with QB play. Those Fr QBs will all most likely get redshirted. I could see vitt, gipson, and jensen all playing, so no redshirt for any of them. Are they really hoping this kid can be immediately eligible and possibly start? He's way behind the curve compared to the other QBs.

Sort of related sort of not. I just seem to have more questions than answers after the last couple of weeks. No answer to QB competition. Some talk of how good OLine is looking and the offense lays a turd during the first scrimmage. Defense looks great, but does that also mean DBs look good? I'd love to have our DBs finally play well. Or is the defense winning due to offensive ineptitude? Maybe why they're making a desperation move by bringing in a very last minute addition.
Spav did talk about QBs today, Vitt started with the 1’s, both Vitt and Jensen had TD drives with 1’s. Race between the 2, Gipson open to moving positions.

Bobkat34

No doubt.. this transfer portal stuff is really wierd to allow this quickly a change.

I'm more intrigued to know how he's connected to any of the coaches. The only ones that make some type of sense is Bob Stitt at OSU or Zac Spav at TT as recruiding coordinator/DC

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor

A few things:
- No, I really don't think they expect him to be immediately eligible. But what's the harm in trying to get the waiver?
- He's a redshirt freshman this year, not a sophomore. He has 4 years left to play if waiver is approved, but because I'm sure it won't be he'll have 3 to play starting in 2020. More talented QBs is never a bad thing IMO. Not a fan of the "I'm not gonna play immediately so I'm gonna transfer" strategy some of these kids employ, and I don't even know if that's why this kid transferred in the first place, but I'm not gonna complain about picking up a 3-star QB with tape as good as this kids. Likely a scout team guy this year as others have mentioned and we'll see what the QB competition looks like with him in the mix in the spring.
- Sounds like the offense looked significantly better today than Saturday.
- DBs expected to be solid this year. Ton of experience back there and the 3 freshman have all been impressive so far on top of that.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly feel bad for Gipson. He might be our most improved player since last season. Not to mention the culture aspect that he exemplifies. He was always focused on game day last year too. When we had a bunch of guys joking around on the sideline as we were losing games, he was focused on the field. Any time Vitt or Jones were injured or lost a helmet and needed to come out for a play or 2, he was sprinting on the field immediately. Great player and seems like a great guy to have on the team.

LSU Bobcat

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to get good talent (which it looks like he is). I'm more concerned about this season. I think we have to have a decent season to recruit well. If they're at all hoping he'll be eligible (which we know he most likely won't) that tells me they're not excited about current QB play. If they're taking him because hell, why not? Then that's not too bad. I haven't read enough about it, but I'm guessing he'll be on scholarship?

I'd be pumped to see us have a good DB year. Recruiting there was ok but play on the field was not ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.