2020 Commitments

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good point and I think next year will be another intense QB battle, but I don't see him getting the waiver. Even if he gets approved to play this year, I don't see him playing on such short notice. Unless things go horribly wrong and both Vitt and Jensen are completely ineffective.

LSU Bobcat

This dude didnt leave a 2nd string qb job at a very good memphis program to come to txst for that same 2nd string job. The coaches must have told him something he liked imo..
Good point. Was there any other indication there were other reasons he left? I saw on twitter, I think his dad mentioned something about summer camp with Memphis. Certainly doesn't seem like he was on the out at that time.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Everyone thinks its probably cause the starter was just granted an extra year of eligibility. Meaning he'd be sitting two more years as the backup instead of one.

Mpf43

I look at this as adding another recruit to our next class. Since he already used a redshirt, why not appeal? Nothing to lose. But he gets to come in and learn the offense this year. Next year he still has 3 years to play and knows the system and should be mature and ready to go. Next year, Gresch is a SR, Vitt a Jr, he is a soph and case is a rs frosh. Puts us pretty balanced at qb.

solo-cat

That's a good point and I think next year will be another intense QB battle, but I don't see him getting the waiver. Even if he gets approved to play this year, I don't see him playing on such short notice. Unless things go horribly wrong and both Vitt and Jensen are completely ineffective.
Why don't you think he'll get a waiver? I'll be upset if he doesn't receive one after so many other QB's and players have received waivers to play immediately.

bigred24

Why don't you think he'll get a waiver? I'll be upset if he doesn't receive one after so many other QB's and players have received waivers to play immediately.
The main reason is that their head coach did not change. The NCAA has been all over the place with whose waiver is granted but I doubt our coaches are expecting it to. But you might as well give it a try and see what happens.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I thought these types of waivers very rarely got approved. It's not a medical waiver, his coach didn't leave, there doesn't seem to be any other circumstance that forced his transfer. He just didn't want to sit on the bench behind their starter.

Bobkat34

Bobcatfanatic... I agree they likely sold him on something but... he is not an automatic take by any stretch (5*/4* guy maybe a coach will guarantee some sort of position to) and it seems he wasn't comfortable staying at Memphis where the transfer/starter will have 2 seasons left (after getting a 2nd season back) so he decided to leave. I don't agree with why kids leave today but that is the new norm...

It is an odd thing to see a transfer come in this late but as most have indicated, if he's better than... then he should start when given opportunity (waiver approved or wait til next fall). We'll see.

carmanjello325

Did the starter mcbride was behind just get the 'okay' recently to play an extra season? If it has been a while it's a shame he didn't leave sooner b/c he could already be dialed into our offense

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
The main reason is that their head coach did not change. The NCAA has been all over the place with whose waiver is granted but I doubt our coaches are expecting it to. But you might as well give it a try and see what happens.
The main reason may be that "State" at the end of our name.

If we're a Texas or Ohio State (how does Justin Fields get approved?) or USC or something maybe we'd have a shot.

As a school that isn't generating revenue for the NCAA they'll decline the waiver due to all the reasons others have mentioned.

solo-cat

I think Justin used the term "practicing" loosely.

He's at practice, but not in pads. All he's done so far is act as the center snapping the ball to the other QBs in passing drills.
Thank you man.

Would you care to share your opinion on how Jensen looks today?

Bobkat34

I felt this was his best option with a family of his own (baby) and get to play in front of family. If he’s a true OT, even better with Rowland/Brewer leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.