2023-24 Non Conference

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Figured I’d get it started. First game is Monday 7pm @ Little Rock. Hoping x comes through with some good previews from time to time.

Interested to see what this team looks like. To me it looks like a deeper, bigger team than previous years. However, no idea who is going to score. Hopefully guys step up and show they can make a bucket to stop a run or late in game.

Game notes has a projected starting group so I’ll use that as my depth projection. Sr* is using extra Covid year. No * Sr has Covid year if they want it.

PG- Drinnon Sr* - Benson So - Gumbs Fr
G- Mason So - Dawson Sr
W- O’Garro Sr - Horne Sr - Tate Sr
F- Morgan Sr* - Turner Sr - Sykes So
C- Nix Sr* - Love Jr - Bolton Fr (wo)

Looking at it, I wonder if Sykes will be mainly at the 3 spot as I’d put him over all three wing players that were added from juco. We’ll find out what the rotation looks like. Hopefully by conference TJ has found 9-10 guys that can help us win.

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/sidearm.nextgen.sites/txstate.sidearmsports.com/documents/2023/11/5/TXST_MBB_01.pdf

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Game one and looks like Drinnon, Benson, Mason, Sykes are sitting at the end of the bench and not dressed out

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Welp that one sucked.

More size/length than previous teams. Decent athletes. Good effort. Out rebounded them by 20.

Can’t shoot or pass. None of them can. Gumbs hit a floater for the first points of the game and thought oh shit he’s starting for a reason. Then they pressed us and he couldn’t handle it. Dawson was unplayable. Drinnon probably helps control this game better but anything set we tried to do offensively sucked. Pretty much everything was in transition or off an offensive board. Four guys who are likely important rotation pieces sat. Hopefully they are back soon.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I know his contract goes through 2026-27 as he signed a five year deal in summer ‘22.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Maybe if we get that Independence Bowl Payout KD will buyout TJs contract. Jk I know that the money is split amongst the conference but dang if the SBC can send 8 or 9 teams bowling that should total up to about a mil per school from all the bowl payouts.

carmanjello325

So, if it's the same buyout... should be approximately $360,000. That's probably a little more than his current annual salary.
wait so we are paying this guy about the same amount as the former tcu bama and a&m football coach who got us bowl eligible in back to back seasons in our 1st 2 seasons where we had eligibility? what college was he a head coach at before? o_O make this make sense

BobcatRaider

The good news is that it’s relatively easy to turn around a basketball program with a new coach in the transfer portal era, especially at the mid-major level. That’s with the big assumption you hire the right guy who’s able to lure solid P5 players looking for playing time.