2023-24 Non Conference

slycat

Short version. Team hasn't made March Madness since 1997.

Team was terrible for 15-20 years. Danny Kaspar took over around a decade ago and turned it around. Team was defense first and fundamentals. He resigned after some scandal were he was called out by some players for some things he said. An investigation was done and nothing really came from it. They hired his assistant, Johnson, who is the current coach. He was very successful his first two seasons with Kaspars players and won back to back regular season titles before crashing out of the conference postseason to much lower seeded teams. Those two seasons got him an extension. He seems to struggle to recruit and is now out of Kaspar guys and the team has fallen back to average at best.

Probably nothing to get hopes up for any time soon.

Professorbum

Short version. Team hasn't made March Madness since 1997.

Team was terrible for 15-20 years. Danny Kaspar took over around a decade ago and turned it around. Team was defense first and fundamentals. He resigned after some scandal were he was called out by some players for some things he said. An investigation was done and nothing really came from it. They hired his assistant, Johnson, who is the current coach. He was very successful his first two seasons with Kaspars players and won back to back regular season titles before crashing out of the conference postseason to much lower seeded teams. Those two seasons got him an extension. He seems to struggle to recruit and is now out of Kaspar guys and the team has fallen back to average at best.

Probably nothing to get hopes up for any time soon.
Perhaps KD's next athletics objective? Get into the tourney or the NIT. I could get behind that.

slycat

Perhaps KD's next athletics objective? Get into the tourney or the NIT. I could get behind that.
Winning regular season got them NIT twice. But first time was during COVID so it was cancelled or a smaller amount of teams and they didn't go. Second time they lost opening game.

Some of you guys did a great job bringing this newcomer up to speed on the history of the football program and the persistent challenges. What's the story with men's basketball? We've actually been decent in the past, right?
Distant past….Milton Jowers was one of the best coaches in the history of college basketball. Dan Wall was really good but kind of a nut. That’s all very ancient history, and the basketball program will suck as long as lazy TJ continues to phone it in. Extending that mediocrity was a stupid move that tanked the program.

Professorbum

Distant past….Milton Jowers was one of the best coaches in the history of college basketball. Dan Wall was really good but kind of a nut. That’s all very ancient history, and the basketball program will suck as long as lazy TJ continues to phone it in. Extending that mediocrity was a stupid move that tanked the program.
To clarify... I gave the thumbs up because you were kind enough to reply and give me some history. The thumbs up does not necessarily relate to the "lazy TJ" phoning it in comment. Give me a partial season to see for myself and I'll get back to you.

Bobcat1

To clarify... I gave the thumbs up because you were kind enough to reply and give me some history. The thumbs up does not necessarily relate to the "lazy TJ" phoning it in comment. Give me a partial season to see for myself and I'll get back to you.
He uses that phrase as a dog whistle…

Professorbum

Oh, I doubt that. I suspect the criticism relates to low effort in recruiting and a perceived preference to just coast. We've all seen many coaches do that. Hell, that's one of the biggest complaints against the NDSU coach (from where I came), who absolutely needs to be canned.