2023 Recruiting: Offers, Commits, De-Commits, etc.

BobcatRaider

Sign me up as unimpressed with Johnson’s recruiting. Kaden Gumbs is a solid land, but in the portal era, what is with Johnson’s JUCO obsession? Admittedly I have watched zero film on any of these guys, and I won’t, but on paper they are JAGs.

ElijahTate - 4th leading scorer on his JUCO. Averaged 8 PPG. Averaged 9 PPG for his previous JUCO. Averaged 1.8 PPG as a freshman at UAB.

Donate Horne - 4th leading scorer on his JUCO.

Always Wright (lol) - 3rd leading scorer on his JUCO.

I understand taking a JUCO player a year, but loading up on them before the portal really gets started is stupid. I remember when Davion Coleman averaged 21+ for Blinn…

Maybe one of these guys is a star in the making and I hope I have to eat crow, but is this seriously the best we can do? We definitely didn’t take advantage of being back-to-back conference champs, and we have to replace the vast majority of our scoring next year from a sub .500 team… a bunch of random JUCO players probably isn’t going to turn the ship around

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Honestly I'm not that impressed with Gumbs. I saw San Marcos high play a game against Temple (who is no power in BB) and I really don't remember him doing much. Granted that was just one game but still. I hope he does great though.

Sign me up as unimpressed with Johnson’s recruiting. Kaden Gumbs is a solid land, but in the portal era, what is with Johnson’s JUCO obsession? Admittedly I have watched zero film on any of these guys, and I won’t, but on paper they are JAGs.

ElijahTate - 4th leading scorer on his JUCO. Averaged 8 PPG. Averaged 9 PPG for his previous JUCO. Averaged 1.8 PPG as a freshman at UAB.

Donate Horne - 4th leading scorer on his JUCO.

Always Wright (lol) - 3rd leading scorer on his JUCO.

I understand taking a JUCO player a year, but loading up on them before the portal really gets started is stupid. I remember when Davion Coleman averaged 21+ for Blinn…

Maybe one of these guys is a star in the making and I hope I have to eat crow, but is this seriously the best we can do? We definitely didn’t take advantage of being back-to-back conference champs, and we have to replace the vast majority of our scoring next year from a sub .500 team… a bunch of random JUCO players probably isn’t going to turn the ship around
Lazy hires make lazy coaches. TJ's 'recruiting' is a joke, as is his portal management. He's in way over his head and will be hard pressed to field .500 teams. Lazy TJ.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
I don't know if TJ is lazy or not (I've asked Cletus to expound on that as he's used that word about 20 times in 13 posts), but count me as concerned about the future of this program at this point.

We can't ignore we were dealt some major bad luck this year. We had one of the most injury-plagued teams in the country. I think we only had 3 scholarship players make it through the season without missing a game to injury (Jordan Mason, Brandon Love, Davion Sykes).

Elijah Kennedy missed the entire season, unsure if still with the program.
Gatkek missed 23 games, unsure if still with the program.
Dawson missed 21 games.
Ceaser missed 10 games.
Martin missed 5 games.
Driinnon missed 5 games.
Coleman missed 5 games (including every SBC tourney game).
Morgan missed 4 games.
Harrell missed 3 games.

OK. Excuses out of the way. We currently don't have a PG on this roster with Harrell and I assume Drinnon both leaving. That currently leaves a soon-to-be soph. wing player (Mason) and a true freshman (Gumbs) as our options handling the ball next year replacing one of the best players to ever put on a Bobcat uniform in Harrell. That seems like a disaster waiting to happen. And along with Harrell our 2nd leading scorer in Ceaser is also graduating. The last handful of posts outline this incoming class doesn't exactly look stellar on paper, and I agree.

IF Kennedy and Gatkek are still with the team, I think we have 1 available scholarship still if Drinnon is moving on. TJ better land a stud with it and while we need help at multiple positions I don't see how you don't take a transfer portal true PG if we only have 1 spot. If Kennedy and Gatkek are gone, we could have up to 3 remaining which means there's hope yet if we can land some guys this off-season. Or if they're back they're gonna have to up their production like 100-fold, cause we got next to nothing out of those two this year which really hurt this team.

I don't know if TJ is lazy or not (I've asked Cletus to expound on that as he's used that word about 20 times in 13 posts), but count me as concerned about the future of this program at this point.

We can't ignore we were dealt some major bad luck this year. We had one of the most injury-plagued teams in the country. I think we only had 3 scholarship players make it through the season without missing a game to injury (Jordan Mason, Brandon Love, Davion Sykes).

Elijah Kennedy missed the entire season, unsure if still with the program.
Gatkek missed 23 games, unsure if still with the program.
Dawson missed 21 games.
Ceaser missed 10 games.
Martin missed 5 games.
Driinnon missed 5 games.
Coleman missed 5 games (including every SBC tourney game).
Morgan missed 4 games.
Harrell missed 3 games.

OK. Excuses out of the way. We currently don't have a PG on this roster with Harrell and I assume Drinnon both leaving. That currently leaves a soon-to-be soph. wing player (Mason) and a true freshman (Gumbs) as our options handling the ball next year replacing one of the best players to ever put on a Bobcat uniform in Harrell. That seems like a disaster waiting to happen. And along with Harrell our 2nd leading scorer in Ceaser is also graduating. The last handful of posts outline this incoming class doesn't exactly look stellar on paper, and I agree.

IF Kennedy and Gatkek are still with the team, I think we have 1 available scholarship still if Drinnon is moving on. TJ better land a stud with it and while we need help at multiple positions I don't see how you don't take a transfer portal true PG if we only have 1 spot. If Kennedy and Gatkek are gone, we could have up to 3 remaining which means there's hope yet if we can land some guys this off-season. Or if they're back they're gonna have to up their production like 100-fold, cause we got next to nothing out of those two this year which really hurt this team.
Lazy, shiftless TJ won't land any studs. He always reaches for the easy button, finding the third or fourth best players on middling JC teams. Once this lazy loafer got his undeserved extension he started phoning it in. Texas State basketball will never see .500 plus as long as this over-promoted clown is at the helm.

BobcatRaider

Some of these lists are bad. Let's get Tipler.
It’s early in the portal season. We likely reached out to many more players than the guys above. I’m just thankful Johnson is actually portal recruiting. I would’ve liked to save some of the scholarships he used on JUCOs but it appears he will still be active in the portal.

Tipler put up pretty average numbers as a 5’10” senior for ETSU. Sanders & Chavez don’t look too impressive on paper either.

Coleton Benson was just a freshman at Army and put up good numbers. He’ from Austin Bowie and I would gladly take him. The UIW kid, Cisse, is probably the best on the list above solely for next season.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
It’s early in the portal season. We likely reached out to many more players than the guys above. I’m just thankful Johnson is actually portal recruiting. I would’ve liked to save some of the scholarships he used on JUCOs but it appears he will still be active in the portal.

Tipler put up pretty average numbers as a 5’10” senior for ETSU. Sanders & Chavez don’t look too impressive on paper either.

Coleton Benson was just a freshman at Army and put up good numbers. He’ from Austin Bowie and I would gladly take him. The UIW kid, Cisse, is probably the best on the list above solely for next season.
Lacewell, Gatkek, Kennedy, Davis, have not been good transfers from four year colleges. Is Jaylon Shead the only one that had success since Kaspar era? Think Davalos got a big white guy that was real good. Granted Davis was from a level below, and has another year to prove me wrong.

Need a couple real good players no matter where they are from.

BobcatRaider

Lacewell, Gatkek, Kennedy, Davis, have not been good transfers from four year colleges. Is Jaylon Shead the only one that had success since Kaspar era? Think Davalos got a big white guy that was real good. Granted Davis was from a level below, and has another year to prove me wrong.

Need a couple real good players no matter where they are from.
Lacewell averaged 2.7 points at San Jose State.

Gatkek & Kennedy were the last two guys on a bad Florida team’s bench. Did the latter even show up?

Brandon Davis went to LSU-Eunice which competes in the NJCAA.

Many, many other schools find quality players in the portal every year. TXST’s inability to land quality 4 year transfers is an indictment on TXST, not the portal.

Last edited:

BobcatRaider

ULL’s leading scorer transferred from Arizona. Their next 3 leading scorers were all transfers as well.

Georgia Southern’s leading scorer transferred from Texas Tech. 4/5 of their next leading scorers were also transfers.

Southern Miss’ top two scorers are transfers from Ole Miss & Mercer.

4/5 of JMU’s leading scorers were transfers.

That’s all I’m going to look up but you get the point. Meanwhile we’re using our scholarships on JUCO kids who put up the third most points on their respective JUCO teams. It’s illogical and frustrating.