Bobcat NIL

atxman

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
There are plenty of things that are against the rules that can be enforced if the NCAA has proof. That's always the biggest issue - getting the proof.

atxman

Agreed. Just not seeing how you get proof that shows a school has crossed the line when the NIL system, which is funded by boosters, has clearly evolved into pay-for-play rather than simply a way for student-athletes to cash in on their market power. After all, what’s the line?

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Who is paying the money - can't be the school.
What is in the contract - can't be performance based, or for going to a specific school.
When is the contract signed - can't be before the player is enrolled.

atxman

Yes. Those are the rules. But as I said, how quaint. The school can’t pay, but the boosters do. And those boosters work with the school and know which players to direct money to. Can’t be performance based, but every collective is going to prioritize top performers (which is how we’re now in bidding wars). Contract can’t be signed until enrollment, but promises get made to induce the players to enroll. The lines are so blurry that they basically don’t exist.

franslasttwinkie

And yet Finley publicly admitted whether true or not that he had been in contact with P5 programs? And that was what more than 30 days prior to entering the portal? But being in contact with P5 programs before entering the portal would be considered tampering would it not? I don't think we have access to the audio from the presser though. It's also weird that what someone had posted on here about Finley getting a six figure deal at WKU. The guy that was worried about being able to hold his starting spot here was still able to get that kind of deal elsewhere at a program that has been in quite good shape for the last 12 years or so?

Keff Ciardello on X: "#TXST QB TJ Finley said he is waiting to make decision on his future until after bowl game. Choosing between staying, transferring or going pro. https://t.co/WdJ7XbON28" / X (twitter.com)

Last edited:

franslasttwinkie

It's weird that he could still get a pretty decent sized offer (that late) from a program that doesn't exactly stack cash after his agent had just posted that he didn't think he could win his previous job at a G5 program that had very recently been terrible and long suffering. Seems like a lot of money to throw at a guy that was thought would end up being a backup G5 QB in 2024 at TXST.

Last edited:

franslasttwinkie

Then again, it is thought that McCloud would have been the backup at JMU in 2024 so if TXST were to throw the same money at him as WKU did with Finley we'd be doing the same thing they just did to get a future G5 backup QB from the previous home.

Pintail45

M&G Gift Contributor
Still seems like a lot of hearsay. If it is true, devil is in the details. It almost certainly is not an up-front lump sum payment.
How’s it hearsay when the OP got it straight from the source? If it’s not true then he just libeled the shit out of himself on a public forum.

I’m not saying TJ got the same deal but it certainly appears WKU did in fact offer six figures to at least one QB.

txphi592

M&G Gift Planner/Donor
M&G Collective Member
How’s it hearsay when the OP got it straight from the source? If it’s not true then he just libeled the shit out of himself on a public forum.

I’m not saying TJ got the same deal but it certainly appears WKU did in fact offer six figures to at least one QB.
It's an unverifiable second hand report from someone on a public message forum on the internet. Isn't that the literal definition of hearsay? 😜

Pintail45

M&G Gift Contributor
It's an unverifiable second hand report from someone on a public message forum on the internet. Isn't that the literal definition of hearsay? 😜
I'll concede--I've always thought of hearsay as a more roundabout, "through the grapevine" type deal but it appears even the reporting of a first-hand account meets the definition. But if that's true, then all reporting is hearsay.

Maybe Chandler will clear it up for us when he gets here.

Last edited: