Future Schedules

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
I like it. It will be interesting to see how quickly they can grow a fanbase. From all the comments I've heard they expect to have a lot of fans quickly.

TxSt1992

I like it. It will be interesting to see how quickly they can grow a fanbase. From all the comments I've heard they expect to have a lot of fans quickly.
With their isolation, they have a solid chance of being the main team in that area. With the right mix of marketing, trajectory and wins, they can become a pretty decent G5 program.

franslasttwinkie

Vaquero can grow their fan base all they want so as long as they don’t rear their ugly head 120 years after our existence and snag all of our offered recruits like the choad hunters have

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
With their isolation, they have a solid chance of being the main team in that area. With the right mix of marketing, trajectory and wins, they can become a pretty decent G5 program.
I think the exact opposite. That isolation is going to be a weight around their neck. What 18yr old wants to go to school in a border town, 3+ hours from the nearest real city?

franslasttwinkie

SFA seems to be able to put together a pretty respectable and lively campus 2 long hours from Houston and 2.5 from Dallas. They’ll never break 30k in enrollment but don’t think they care to.

They gave Troy a pretty good game this year and I think could end up starting out better than SHSU should UAC go though. Not really such think as lumberjack commuter line the ones that run rampant in Huntsville

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
SFA seems to be able to put together a pretty respectable and lively campus 2 long hours from Houston and 2.5 from Dallas. They’ll never break 30k in enrollment but don’t think they care to.

They gave Troy a pretty good game this year and I think could end up starting out better than SHSU should UAC go though. Not really such think as lumberjack commuter line the ones that run rampant in Huntsville
For those that haven't kept up, this isn't going to happen. If it had any shot SHSU would've probably stuck it out so they'd have more time to get their affairs in order. Regardless, it was DOA.

Artycat

M&G Collective Member
I don’t think we should do anything to facilitate their growth. Instead we should be taking paydays from P5’s or upper level G5’s.
I hear you but let's be honest, "college football" is dead, we're in the era of semi-pro football now and all that entails.
Living in SPI I've seen a lot of support already. All the pieces are in place...large enrollment, med. school, well known local coach, UT system, RGV metro population is over 1mil football loving fans, etc. Only time will tell but I wish them all the best.

classof78

I think the exact opposite. That isolation is going to be a weight around their neck. What 18yr old wants to go to school in a border town, 3+ hours from the nearest real city?
Going to agree to disagree to a point there. Is it a ways away from the next big city? Yes. But all of the same chain stores and restaurants are there, even a lot of high end stores because of the number of wealthy families in Mexico who come up to shop. While I wouldn't recommend it, Reynosa is just 20 minutes to the south, where an 18 year old can legally drink. They don't get Moody Center capacity shows but they get shows you might go to COTA to see. They have an NBA Development League team and a pro soccer team. They're a bigger media market than Lincoln, Nebraska and Baton Rouge. The biggest downfalls for me are the facilities (no idea what their plans are there but a first time program will have to invest a lot), being more of a local university, they don't have a lot of student housing, and if you think it gets hot here, try practicing down in the Valley where it's usually about 5-7 degrees warmer in August for practices.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
You can talk all you want about what stores are there and what the size of the media market is, but if you think Edinburg appeals to a 17yr old football player with options, then yeah, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
Kinda like utep but without a rival just down the Highway.
Or like Tech but without the P5 title and history

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
The beavers and the cougs of Wazzou have A TON of openings right now. Like 8 openings. 3 previously scheduled OOC games, 1 conference game against each other makes 4. I read somewhere they were trying to make a scheduling agreement with the MWC similar to ND’s with ACC for next year but they are running short on time. Going to end up with multiple FCS teams on schedule.

Edit: Washington still has 1 opening in 24 schedule, probably trying to get that worked out to get WSU on the schedule