M&G Collective, LLC - Urgent NIL

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
We're sorry you feel that way, we are working on deciding what information is shareable and what's not. In the future when we do share more detailed information it will most likely be in the private forum for the collective contributors. It is not a competition being M&G and VS, both collectives are working for the athletes and we both offer something different.

I haven't seen one collective share contract breakdowns for their signed athletes because it would be a distraction to other teammates and other sports. To much information floating around could do more harm then good. The board is constantly work on way to share the details with the collective contributors and get their feedback on what they want to see in content, what athletes and other ideas to help grow so we can continue to support our athletes.

We appreciate those who have given and supported us allowing us to sign Ben and Tory. We look forward to growing and signing more athletes. All feedback is welcome but lets keep it respectful, the board is all voluntary, none of us are being compensated that way more can be given to the athletes.

if you haven't already follow us on twitter/x and instagram @golden_nil_

like, comment and share our post so we can grow
This is all with the upmost respect for the NIL and the members of the TXST fan base who want to be involved with the programs and institution. These are not feelings, they are facts about the public facing availability of information and solicitation of membership for the M&G NIL collective.

The definition of collective is “done by people acting as a group.”

All of you as decision makers have solicited inputs and funds with the phrases “by Bobcats for Bobcats” and “Texas State Fans to take part in the success of Texas State Student Athletes.” and on X “for the TXST fans by TXST fans”

Yet, there was no discussion with those who contributed money as to who the funds would go to. Ahead of that decision the governing board was determined by those with the ideas (this is fine but there are a lot of Bobcats with a lot of valuable backgrounds well beyond SMTX/many are on this board which the fund is named for). But, this strategy also limited the formulation of the NIL as it limited opinions and voices in the room. In fact there was no room (in-person or virtually) to participate and to try to build this thing in a way that all connections could benefit. TXST has a massive alumni base, all of us knowing different groups within the larger population.

Moreover, publicly available and available to the collective membership are two different things. As I understand MG NIL are not publishing or giving inside information to those who are inputting funds to ensure the success of the LLC. That alone should draw skepticism from those who have already joined and TXST followers who would like to join but expect a ROI and input to where their dollars are going. I understand not publishing on the public forum but as a benefit those whose dollars are keeping the idea afloat should receive access. That’s one of the points of NIL. Access not only to the athletes but to the decision making as how their dollar best benefits the university and its athletics departments.

Last edited:

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
If you have joined the collective and need access to the collective subforum, dm Justin with the information you used to sign up. He will verify it and get you added.

txphi592

M&G Gift Planner/Donor
M&G Collective Member
This is all with the upmost respect for the NIL and the members of the TXST fan base who want to be involved with the programs and institution. These are not feelings, they are facts about the public facing availability of information and solicitation of membership for the M&G NIL collective.

All of you as decision makers have solicited inputs and funds with the phrases “by Bobcats for Bobcats” and “Texas State Fans to take part in the success of Texas State Student Athletes.” and on X “for the TXST fans by TXST fans”

Yet, there was no discussion with those who contributed money as to who the funds would go to. Ahead of that decision the governing board was determined by those with the ideas (this is fine but there are a lot of Bobcats with a lot of valuable backgrounds well beyond SMTX/many are on this board which the fund is named for). But, this strategy also limited the formulation of the NIL as it limited opinions and voices in the room. In fact there was no room (in-person or virtually) to participate and to try to build this thing in a way that all connections could benefit. TXST has a massive alumni base, all of us knowing different groups within the larger population.

Moreover, publicly available and available to the collective membership are two different things. As I understand MG NIL are not publishing or giving inside information to those who are inputting funds to ensure the success of the LLC. That alone should draw skepticism from those who have already joined and TXST followers who would like to join but expect a ROI and input to where their dollars are going. I understand not publishing on the public forum but as a benefit those whose dollars are keeping the idea afloat should receive access. That’s one of the points of NIL. Access not only to the athletes but to the decision making as how their dollar best benefits the university and its athletics departments.
A few thoughts to consider for context... this NIL is different from other groups at TXST, primarily since-

1) We are operated by TXST alums, and
2) This is all run completely altruistically as a not a for profit style NIL and everyone is working for free. Practically 100% of the dollars donated will make it directly to an athlete's pocket with the only exception being some very minor operating costs.
3) Our primary focus is the individual fan (like all of us) and not corporate marketing departments.

This is where "by the fans and for the fans" mantra comes from. It doesn't mean that every fan is now part of every decision or that we have an obligation to share potentially damaging information with you. Play this out and imagine the locker room dynamic if these numbers are publicized.. there is a reason NIL groups do not publish these numbers.

This thing was started a few months ago with most of the legwork falling on one guy (thank you @JustinS09). It's still being developed and if you would like to help, by all means, please donate with your time or dollars to make an impact. I'm involved on the board and donate at the $100/mo. level and I do so because I can't think of a better way to have a direct impact on the Football program as well as the personal impact it makes on the players.

Last edited:

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Congratulations on signing two awesome players! I'm thrilled that you chose Tory Spears, especially knowing that the money will help support his child. Love Ben Bell too, and can’t wait for donor chats. As far as being transparent, perhaps consider publishing basic financials, such as cash on hand, monthly pledges, and expenses. You can do this in the private donor forum to limit the info to stakeholders. That level of transparency will no doubt help you grow the collective.
Good work!!

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
A few thoughts to consider for context... this NIL is different from other groups at TXST, primarily since-

1) We are operated by TXST alums, and
2) This is all run completely altruistically as a not a for profit style NIL and everyone is working for free. Practically 100% of the dollars donated will make it directly to an athlete's pocket with the only exception being some very minor operating costs.
3) Our primary focus is the individual fan (like all of us) and not corporate marketing departments.

This is where "by the fans and for the fans" mantra comes from. It doesn't mean that every fan is now part of every decision or that we have an obligation to share potentially damaging information with you. Play this out and imagine the locker room dynamic if these numbers are publicized.. there is a reason NIL groups do not publish these numbers.

This thing was started a few months ago with most of the legwork falling on one guy (thank you @JustinS09). It's still being developed and if you would like to help, by all means, please donate with your time or dollars to make an impact. I'm involved on the board and donate at the $200/mo. level and I do so because I can't think of a better way to have a direct impact on the Football program as well as the personal impact it makes on the players.
I will try this one last time. I am not suggesting information be publicly shared. I am stating that members of the collective receive the information they are entitled to.

When someone supports the M&G NIL collective they are not just a “fan” they are part of the collective and should be entitled to at least have oversight in the process and knowledge of how much distribution is going where… just amongst the collective, not the public.

I am appreciative of all the work you guys are doing. It reflects well on each of you and what the university means to you. All of us are passionate about it. My feedback comes from a place of wanting this to succeed and grow. TXST and you guys who built this deserve the success.

I also acknowledge the plane was being built while flying. Nothing is perfect. Just pointing out some points of incongruence for consideration. If the collective becomes agreeable to the donors receiving the stake they deserve in both privileged information and full financial disclosures it will increase the chances of this being a more successful venture.

Last edited:

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Financial information like how much raised and how many donors has been being shared in the private collective forum for those that are members. Along with conversations about who to target, certain operations even as trivial as which hashtag to use, etc.

The only way this works is by being and to utilize this platform to have conversations with collective members and gather their thoughts and insights about how to proceed, but also providing insider info to those members including interviews with players and coaches, practice notes, game recaps from the Golden Athletes, etc.

If you or anyone else would like access to the collective sub forum, you just need to sign up at any level.

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
Financial information like how much raised and how many donors has been being shared in the private collective forum for those that are members. Along with conversations about who to target, certain operations even as trivial as which hashtag to use, etc.

The only was this works is by being and to utilize this platform to have conversations with collective members and gather their thoughts and insights about how to proceed, but also providing insider info to those members including interviews with players and coaches, practice notes, game recaps from the Golden Athletes, etc.

If you or anyone else would like access to the collective sub forum, you just need to sign up at any level.

I appreciate this initiative and have joined the collective. Eat ‘Em Up Cats!

BiggThadd

I understand what you’re saying. Fans need to understand Justin has done a great job of researching and discussing with other collectives that have come from fan forums.

When sharing information to collective members in the firm who’s to say someone from another university doesn’t sign up for $20/m to gain valuable information on our NIL to use against us in recruiting. If I was a football program I’d pay $240 to know what another school is paying a player.

At some point fans need to trust the judgement of the board when making decisions. This isn’t a publicly traded company where everything is available to general public. We do want fan engagement because without the fans there’s no forum and no support for the university.

We know there is A LOT of value in the fan base beyond dollars. We’re open to input and ideas from the fan base. The board is in communication daily brainstorming new ideas and figuring timelines to launch ideas.

When it comes to ROI, that comes with wins, recruiting and retaining talent. While the idea of NIL isn’t perfect, rules change month to month and every state is different , the real goal is to have find available for players to retain them and recruit them with opportunities.

Our platform with the M&G collective is the closest thing where fans will have some input.

Again it’s not a perfect system because every fan could want something different. Could you image every fan in Texas A&M collective trying to decide what to do with funds? You’re talking an about thousand of fans. Thats why a board exits.

We just hope that the fans have trust in the board to do the right thing, sign the right players, keep the contributors informed as much as possible and help advance TXST athletics.

LT Spider

Meant to reply to this earlier. It seems like the schools that do well in fundraising have a couple of things in common - neither of which we have had.

1. Scarcity. This could mean tickets, parking, or something else that would get people to donate. We haven’t been able to give away tickets for 95% of games over the last 10 years. I often see people trying to give them out and can’t find a taker. Same goes for parking. You can drive up and pay most games.

Lack of winning and overall fan culture are to blame. Last year was the first significant progress we have made.

2. Big money donors. We just don’t have many people willing and able to write 7 figure checks compared to most schools. Most of our alums that are in the age range of people with money to throw around graduated from a smaller school focused on producing teachers and the like. I think this will change over time as we produce more grads in higher earning fields.

One final reminder. It doesn’t have a damn thing to do with the name change. The “it will always be SWT to me” crowd was never going to give a penny to the school. They are the type looking for a reason to not be involved. Ignore them at all costs.