TXST vs SunBelt 2022-23

Bobcat1

As usual you have not a clue what you are talking about. The OSU announcers refer to him as their super 6th man. Do you ever not drink before you post?
Now we’re going to make up another term to prove a non existent point? 😂

“He’s not a sixth man, he’s a SUPER sixth man!” But go off about something that doesn’t exist and tell me how it works through random online blog postings.

Bobcat1

TJ is quickly working himself down to .500 with this rash of bad losses, and will be below that by the time he's fired or his contract is up, whichever comes first. I also thought Sam was pretty good, until they got curb-stomped by a horrible UTA team yesterday.
At our current trajectory, that could come in two years time. We’re losing Harrell next season, and so far this year nobody has shown they can become that go to option on the offensive side. 😬

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Now we’re going to make up another term to prove a non existent point? 😂

“He’s not a sixth man, he’s a SUPER sixth man!” But go off about something that doesn’t exist and tell me how it works through random online blog postings.

Mittens

You can tell the fans that weren't around for the Nutt and Davalos years.
Those were bad teams, certainly. But if we are going to say at least TJ’s teams weren’t as bad as what Nutt and Davalos put on the court, we’re destined to be stuck in mediocrity. This school deserves better than what TJ has delivered. The repeated mediocre performances in the tournament are shameful.

I would hope the MBB program is the next project for the AD/Pres once they right the ship with the football program.

Bobcat1

Those were bad teams, certainly. But if we are going to say at least TJ’s teams weren’t as bad as what Nutt and Davalos put on the court, we’re destined to be stuck in mediocrity. This school deserves better than what TJ has delivered. The repeated mediocre performances in the tournament are shameful.

I would hope the MBB program is the next project for the AD/Pres once they right the ship with the football program.
Have to remember, it took years for Nutt & Davalos to completely melt down in the W/L column. They were mostly hovering around 0.500. For TJ, it took only three seasons to be three games below 0.500. Harder competition to be sure though.

franslasttwinkie

Agree if we are going to be in complete 100% rebuild every 3 seasons under TJ he had better at least be showing obvious signs that he is actually “building it back up” and it’s hard to see any evidence of this since November. And if you’re going to free fall in yr 3 you better have had at least played in the CCG final game 1 of those prior years.

Dav and Nutt’s performance was only normalized because we had bun and Larry. No excuse to be using those guys as the floor for MBB now that we are under new management.

franslasttwinkie

Being 4-8 in this conference is truly pathetic.
Yes not to mention we just fired a HFBC for going 4-8 in his 3rd and 4th season against a much more difficult football schedule than what TJ plays in MBB. And Jake inherited a team that had just come off of a 1-7 SBC record which was far from what the cupboard that the mustache handed over to TJ in 2020 looked like.

I’m not sticking up for Spav in the least I’m just saying the AD blew their load way too early on TJ’s extension especially from what he was gift wrapped from Kaspar.

slycat

Yes, I sadly remember those 2 clowns, and don’t forget Celester Collier’s woeful stint as HC. TJ is headed in that direction with his weak recruiting and inability to work the portal. Being 4-8 in this conference is truly pathetic.
I agree this season isn't great but for now I will lean on the injury excuse. But that won't work next year. He does have to prove he can move forward with his own recruits.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
33-30 TXST at halftime.

Martin and Morgan have 8 each. Harrell with 5. Shooting it well at 54.5% from the field and 7/8 at the FT line. Too many turnovers with 8. Need to clean that up in the 2nd half.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Whew. Both teams are, uh, not good. Take the W though. At some point Harrell has to be efficient. He’s now 39-124 in conference play. That’s 31% from the field. Martin had a solid first half then didn’t play much down the stretch. Morgan made a couple big 3s that isn’t the norm.

Some of those turnovers were just awful. Had a 3 on 1 and we had no idea what to do that ended with Harrell going behind his back right to the other team. So much to improve on.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Not exactly optimism-inspiring against the last-place team on our home floor, but hey we'll take any W we can get right now.

Much better ODU team in San Marcos on Saturday.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Switched to the class of the Sun Belt watching Louisiana vs S Miss. both teams 10-2 and already 20+ wins. Crowd looks great @ S Miss. They are up by 10 with 5 to go.

edit: they just showed an aerial view and it looks like a legit sellout. 8,000+ seats

Last edited:

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Yep. Watching it also. The off-season changes in this conference have made it a better basketball league for sure. Basketball still lags behind football and especially baseball, but these are two good teams playing in a great D1 atmosphere.

3 of the 4 newcomers are top 100 teams currently in the NET ratings, and UTA and Little Rock are both above 275. Nice to see some significant improvement in SBC basketball, we just need to catch back up with the top teams now.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
There’s 32 conferences and SB is ranked 14th in RPI. There’s a lot of crappy basketball leagues but the SB is not one of them.

Southern Miss is a big surprise. I was thinking they’d bring the league down and somehow kept the current coach, but they went from awful to good in one season. They are on the other end of the spectrum than us where their two best players are transfers while we have two not even physically on the bench.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Yeah. Just depends what your definition of "bad" is. I'm with you, its not a bad basketball league, it is a very mediocre one however that hasn't gotten two bids to the NCAA tourney in 15 years.

With football and baseball both generally being top 7 year in and year out however, its definitely not nearly as good a league in basketball though.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Yeah. Just depends what your definition of "bad" is. I'm with you, its not a bad basketball league, it is a very mediocre one however that hasn't gotten two bids to the NCAA tourney in 15 years.

With football and baseball both generally being top 7 year in and year out however, its definitely not nearly as good a league in basketball though.
Definitely don’t disagree but A10, Big East, WCC (Zags) are likely going to be better. Would be nice to be consistently into the 10-12 range. Bracketology only has nine conferences getting multi-bids. Big East football programs leaving, then them taking Xavier, Creighton, Butler has made the number of conferences getting multi-bids diminish. Need to have a top 50 program and then them not win the tournament. With the money every P5 team gets, it’s going to be hard for the small programs to break that threshold