Well we've finally done it.... we scheduled Liberty.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Why would we ever “need” a road game.
Because that's how smaller programs get paid in big chunks. I would think we're going to get ~ $1mil, as that seems to be the average for a payday game.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
The game is in 2024 when we host UTSA and ASU. No P5 money game. I bet TXST expects to sellout both those games and ASU will be a premium with $70 tickets. I wouldn't expect Liberty to be a big pay day because as others said, they won't make much on us going there. They may cover travel and that is about it. We needed a road game in 2024 and it didn't need to be a pay day. It also didn't have to be a home and home. This was an simple solution for both schools.
If this is the case its just plain lazy.

We better be getting paid handsomely to take this game, or its an awful add. With ASU on the schedule we didn't need a P5 away game and that's fine. But schedule a home and home with some decent G5 program instead. Unless they're paying us like $1.5 million this is an awful scheduling move. It also screams "small time". Liberty probably thinks they're paying us for a W.

If they are essentially just paying us to cover travel this will be the worst scheduling move I can remember by Larry in football. It's essentially just throwing a week of the season away financially. You're not getting paid and you get no return game out of it. I'm really interested to see the terms of this contract.

slycat

If this is the case its just plain lazy.

We better be getting paid handsomely to take this game, or its an awful add. With ASU on the schedule we didn't need a P5 away game and that's fine. But schedule a home and home with some decent G5 program instead. Unless they're paying us like $1.5 million this is an awful scheduling move. It also screams "small time". Liberty probably thinks they're paying us for a W.

If they are essentially just paying us to cover travel this will be the worst scheduling move I can remember by Larry in football. It's essentially just throwing a week of the season away financially. You're not getting paid and you get no return game out of it. I'm really interested to see the terms of this contract.
I agree but what does Liberty have to gain by paying us over a million? They seem to have no problem getting games so far and you'd think they'd rather have a home and home to fill their independent schedule.

Bobcat1

Liberty will beat us down. They beat Baylor and others and have looked better recently. They pay way more for coaching then we do. They have millions more sports thanks to their diploma mill and tax free money.

When is the last time we beat a team down? Some FCS program not named IWU and HBU.

If they are still able to beat us five years into Spavital's rebuilding in 2024, then UT in 2026 ain't looking too great of a showing for us. I think Spavital will have us ranked top 25 by 2023, 2024 at the latest.

There, I said it. :cool::sneaky::sneaky:

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
I agree but what does Liberty have to gain by paying us over a million? They seem to have no problem getting games so far and you'd think they'd rather have a home and home to fill their independent schedule.
A win? I don’t really care about liberty though.

What do WE have to gain by playing that game if not money? If we don’t need the money just schedule a home and home with someone more reputable that your fanbase cares more about.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
We gotta be getting paid decent for this game. Liberty has to schedule 12 games being independent. I’m sure there’s an agreement with the other independent schools for home/away matchups to help fill the schedule. They’ll go on the road to a couple P5 programs each year and get paid to do it and host a couple home only games and pay those schools to come.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
We gotta be getting paid decent for this game. Liberty has to schedule 12 games being independent. I’m sure there’s an agreement with the other independent schools for home/away matchups to help fill the schedule. They’ll go on the road to a couple P5 programs each year and get paid to do it and host a couple home only games and pay those schools to come.
Yeah this is what I'm thinking too. The fact that 2/3 of their games aren't scheduled by their conference means they have to do some scheduling things that probably aren't ideal. Like overpaying TXST. Plus they have tons of money. At least I'm gonna give Larry the benefit of the doubt on this for now. If we took this game for 600k or something I'm gonna be pissed....

I can't find what UT is paying us, but Rutgers paid us 1.2 million and A&M 1.3 million. That's our going rate to buy us out I'd say. I'd say maybe Liberty gets a little discount for being more beatable but frankly I'm not sure Rutgers is any better than Liberty.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
This is survival of the fittest. Why even give them a game? Let them scramble elsewhere and let us build name recognition and bank account by getting trounced by a name brand program. They had to play New Mexico or NMSU twice last season. Let them do it again.

Mpf43

I would be pissed if it was a home game but if it is a money game i am OK. Hard to name many money games with a chance of winning. If txst could get a w and a check that would be worth the scheduling. Just need to work to get that w!!

Cajun Cat

so much to say...
1) As a former active duty service member, I greatly enjoyed my one semester of studies through Liberty online (in 2011). Very greatful for the generous discount they provided military/veterans and felt the curriculum was on par with other universities I have attended—LSU, TXST, and Montana State.
2) As a Baptist, I obviously appreciated the university’s worldview. And in my brief time affiliated with them, I never felt I was being swindled by Falwell & Co. I know several ministers and military chaplains that graduated from LU that I hold in high regard. Also love that they had the balls to re-open campus earlier than anyone else amid Corona.
3) As an admitted “jack-baptist,” I also admit I enjoy drinking copious beers, particularly at TXST sporting events. But I feel zero need to mock the Liberty students for, at least by reputation, refraining from underage and/or binge drinking. (Oh, BTW, their students actually show up in the stadium to support their team.)
4) I will say that it does feel like Liberty is the new Baylor—having sold their souls for athletic glory—case in point, the Freeze hire.
5) ...But maybe, as Christ taught, we all deserve second/third/etc. chances in life.
6) 2025 or 2026 or whatever is a long ways off—I wager neither Spav nor Freeze will be coaching these teams by then. Let’s all just pray that we have college football and a functioning Country by that point.
7) Let’s be real here friends—we are in no position to dictate whom we get on the schedule from year to year; or where we play them; or for how much. Produce more and we will be able to demand better.

In summary:

Last edited:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Dear God.
She's insanely hot, but also an absolute nutjob...which probably means she's amazing in the sack. Not sure I could stomach going where Pete Davidson had been just on principal, but would do my best to fight through it. For science or something.

F* Liberty as a university overall, but that Liberty Biberty commercial cracks me up every time I see it.

Cajun Cat

Based on these articles from the last couple of days, I’d wager that the Fightin’ Falwells are gonna be back on the gridiron THIS fall...But will opponents dare to follow their “model”??

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Yeah I'll give Larry a decent grade for this. I'd have rather seen like 1.2 but 1.0 is close enough and should be more winnable than the average team that would pay us 1.2. With Arizona State and UTSA in San Marcos that year, those should be a highly profitable games for us you'd think, plus getting $1 million to go play at Liberty on top of it should make for a financially successful season by our standards. Without having to be a sacrificial lamb to someone like A&M last year.