Well we've finally done it.... we scheduled Liberty.

franslasttwinkie

oof but the 2017 boat race was much more demoralizing than just the score suggests. That one felt even more lobsided than the BYU game. That 2018 chicken dance was tough to watch as well, lost in the same classic Withers fashion that we did against GS just 2 games later.

Bobcat1

It’s only a win if we beat them. In my opinion, the loss to then upstart UTSA in 2012 is the worst loss in Bobcat football history. The fact that we haven’t beat them since makes it all that much worse.
It’s a win regardless. I’ve heard a ton of students already making plans to pack the Alamodome this September. Keeps us relevant in the corridor until our W/L record can catch up.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
I used to be very against this but I'm starting to come around. On one hand this is a program we've tried to distance ourselves from. They don't build like us, they dont spend like us, but unlike us they do win despite all things they have going against them so props to them for that. I don't want us to legitimize them but I suppose that will happen regardless. Playing at NRG makes this a lot more palatable since we can avoid their dump and they're paying us a good chunk of money for an instate road game. Having all 2024 OOC games in the state of Texas will be pretty cool as well!

Any idea what our fan turnout has looked like for any of the recent Houston away games? Should be a decent indicator of what we can expect at NRG.

Bearkat'21

Any ballpark estimates though?
From a Sam Houston fan here I would fully expect to see 30,000+ at this game. Sam Houston would bring 15-20,000 for the Battle of the Pineywoods at NRG and we view this as a renewed rivalry so you could probably expect similar numbers and maybe more for attendance from us. Not sure how many Texas St alumni are in Houston, but I would imagine y'all will travel better than SFA ever did. Sam Houston would consistently buy up SFA seats because they didn't bother to show up and watch ol Sammy beat up on them for over a decade straight. Very happy this rivalry is being renewed even if we have to pay $500k. There was zero chance we would play this at Bowers with the way it looks currently. It also would not have enough seats to play this game capacity wise.

TxSt1992

Any ballpark estimates though?
Sam Houston vs SFA usually gets around 20,000-25,000 and that's at the FCS level. Back in our D-II glory days, apparently then SWT played Sam Houston at the Astrodome? I heard that there were 24,000+ for those games. Both schools are substantially bigger in both number of students and alumni. Also keep in mind that this game is more than likely Sam Houston's answer to meet the attendance requirements for FBS, so tickets will probably be cheap and easy to come by. I think that 25,000 would be a very conservative estimate on the low end and upwards of 40,000 on the high end with the true attendance being somewhere in the middle.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Sorry for not being clear. I meant ballpark estimates for how many fans we brought to Houston in 2012 and 2015

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I was at both and don't have a clue as to an actual number. 5K would be my best guestimate?

Bearkat'21

Sam Houston vs SFA usually gets around 20,000-25,000 and that's at the FCS level. Back in our D-II glory days, apparently then SWT played Sam Houston at the Astrodome? I heard that there were 24,000+ for those games. Both schools are substantially bigger in both number of students and alumni. Also keep in mind that this game is more than likely Sam Houston's answer to meet the attendance requirements for FBS, so tickets will probably be cheap and easy to come by. I think that 25,000 would be a very conservative estimate on the low end and upwards of 40,000 on the high end with the true attendance being somewhere in the middle.
40,000 would be an awesome showing and could definitely happen. I am curious how we see attendance affected for our normal home games now that we are playing FBS level competition. I am not expecting a huge jump but maybe see the average increase by 1000-1500. We expect to see a bigger jump with the stadium renovations that are supposed to happen. We always show up for rivalry games though.