Well we've finally done it.... we scheduled Liberty.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
As much as I like the payout, I think I would trade it for in-state exposure in a major recruiting/metro area. Now, how much that's really worth is up for debate, but we don't really get that in 2024.
No, but we do get 7 home games, w/ UTSA and Arizona State.

But really, your "many" is just that you'd rather play in TX or lose to a bigger name than Liberty if we're going to get paid. Fair enough, even if less a than accurate use of words.

As far as your projection claim...Liberty is a sham of school with trash ethics hiding behind a bible, and I'd prefer to never do anything whatsoever to validate their existence.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I fully agree and not to diminish the point, but have we not erred in the same manner by doing business with Baylor?
I have the somewhat the same issue w/ Baylor, but I think the fact that they're a major school/athletic department means that playing them occasionally is inevitable. They've also been part of the Texas sports landscape our entire lives, and being kinda shitty people the entire time, desensitizes us to their shittiness.

atxman

I think there’s a good argument to be made that scheduling Baylor was bad for the same reason scheduling Liberty is. But one difference is that Baylor fired their (wildly successful) head coach and their president and then split with their athletic director in the aftermath of their scandal. Not sure the university and their regents have truly been held accountable, but they at least acknowledge the problem and have done *something*. (But if you go to their fan boards, their fans continue to indulge in enthusiastic fellatio on Briles. It’s like a cult.) And then there are the valid points made by LTK5H.

KatyStationed

M&G Gift Contributor
No, but we do get 7 home games, w/ UTSA and Arizona State.

But really, your "many" is just that you'd rather play in TX or lose to a bigger name than Liberty if we're going to get paid. Fair enough, even if less a than accurate use of words.

As far as your projection claim...Liberty is a sham of school with trash ethics hiding behind a bible, and I'd prefer to never do anything whatsoever to validate their existence.
Yes, many, as in more than one. I guess “few” would have been more appropriate, but that’s just quibbling over semantics. The seven home games is indeed nice, but I still think I’d rather slide any other Texas, Louisiana or Florida G5 school into that slot (they really need to start scheduling losses around my need to catch redfish and peacock bass).

But before everyone sharpens their pitchforks, I would like to remind folks that more than one thing can be true simultaneously.

For instance, Liberty is garbage, I completely agree. They legitimately seem to be bad people.

Many of you will evidently not travel or buy tickets to the game or even turn on the tv to watch on game day because of Jerry Falwell’s tummy pics and the fact that this school is one of many that really screws the pooch when it comes to sexual assault.

But I still maintain my opinion that many folks wouldn’t be extending so much moral outrage if they knew we could go into their house, take their milly, and make them pass their own teeth the next morning.

Not all opinions are for everyone. Shrug emoji.

franslasttwinkie

Thought I saw something somewhere where Liberty was off the schedule for 2024. I know txstatebobcats dropped them off the schedule. Though I doubt we will get 4 home games and I don't know what kind of P5 would be willing to play us on the road but here are some schools with openings for a 2024 OOC game:

Syracuse 2024 Syracuse Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com
BC 2024 Boston College Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com
Duke 2024 Duke Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com
KU 2024 Kansas Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com
Rutgers, Northwestern
OKST 2024 Oklahoma State Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com already playing on road at Tulsa so likely no chance of playing on the road

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Liberty was reportedly paying us $1 million for that game. If its been dropped (haven't seen any proof of that anywhere yet) we'd almost certainly be looking to get someone else to pay us a similar amount to go to their place. So you'd be better off looking for teams with openings for home games. Not to mention we already have 3 home games, including Arizona State, that year.

Bobcat2010

Thought I saw something somewhere where Liberty was off the schedule for 2024. I know txstatebobcats dropped them off the schedule. Though I doubt we will get 4 home games and I don't know what kind of P5 would be willing to play us on the road but here are some schools with openings for a 2024 OOC game:

Syracuse 2024 Syracuse Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com
BC 2024 Boston College Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com
Duke 2024 Duke Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com
KU 2024 Kansas Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com
Rutgers, Northwestern
OKST 2024 Oklahoma State Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com already playing on road at Tulsa so likely no chance of playing on the road
Best news I’ve seen today. Thank you.

SWTSC

The game is in 2024 when we host UTSA and ASU. No P5 money game. I bet TXST expects to sellout both those games and ASU will be a premium with $70 tickets. I wouldn't expect Liberty to be a big pay day because as others said, they won't make much on us going there. They may cover travel and that is about it. We needed a road game in 2024 and it didn't need to be a pay day. It also didn't have to be a home and home. This was an simple solution for both schools.
contract is/was $1 million to play there

SWTSC

Feels dirty. Hopefully something happens to preclude it.
The article I posted per Liberty the $1m they contracted with us was a wash for them as UCF was to pay them $1m for coming to Orlando. Since UCF will now be Big12 in 2024, suspect UCF could be a driver wanting/needing to drop Liberty to open up a game day. Liberty in turn, no longer would have a wash situation if a force majeure clause in their contract covers such a situation whereby UCF can back out @ a reduced or no payment. Moreover, Liberty is joining CUSA and a non-conference October 26 2024 with TXST could be problematic schedule-wise for Liberty.

We had Tulsa back out of a return game for no discernible reason I know of. In contrast, can easily see a 2024 Liberty game not happening.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Going back through this thread is interesting. I don't think former coaches get credit for current rankings, but Taxi lives in an altered state of reality to begin with, so we'll have to see how it plays out.

I think Spavital will have us ranked top 25 by 2023, 2024 at the latest.