Bobcat Stadium Renovation

TomGIBill

M&G Collective Member
Got it, so we ED the heb taking away the close grocery store and get them to relocate on their own. Forget about the dentist since that’s one little strip surrounded by TxSt property.
Cicis can stay, cheap drunk food for the students lol.

So basically have to wait until those start falling apart and city desires cheaper to sell and relocate than demo and rebuild
Most people playing checkers and here you are playing chess!

slycat

As someone who does a lot of permitting for a living, the majority of cities and counties are currently understaffed and the permitting process has slowed way down. You used to be able to rely on their standard turnaround times for approval but I've had stuff take 2-3 times as long now.

Or you get a bunch of new grads in these roles that don't understand the request and it slows things down a lot too. I had a request to build a hike and bike trail get rejected because we didn't include a wastewater connection form. I had to explain why a concrete trail doesn't need a wastewater connection so the form isn't required.

atxman

Regarding eminent domain, do we actually need additional land for our athletics complex? Isn’t the big thing left just the indoor practice facility? Seems to me there’s already space for that between the softball stadium and the tracks. More parking would be nice, but I’d think building garages on existing lots would be cheaper than buying out existing property owners (public and private).

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
As someone who does a lot of permitting for a living, the majority of cities and counties are currently understaffed and the permitting process has slowed way down. You used to be able to rely on their standard turnaround times for approval but I've had stuff take 2-3 times as long now.

Or you get a bunch of new grads in these roles that don't understand the request and it slows things down a lot too. I had a request to build a hike and bike trail get rejected because we didn't include a wastewater connection form. I had to explain why a concrete trail doesn't need a wastewater connection so the form isn't required.
Yes, permitting/approvals has slowed way down in my end as well. Takes fuggin forever.

Don’t get me started on hike and bike trails. Especially when doing to get parkland/plat fees reimbursed. They do not make it easy. CoNB bullshitted their way around one reimbursement for years and years until the timeline expired and company had to write off 250k over it

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
State land gets stupid but I haven't seen it be exempt for a city permit before. But I've never permitted in San Marcos so they could have a different code of ordinance.
My favorite civil engineer has told me they are very very difficult. But one would think don’t night the hand of the biggest economic driver in the city.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
Regarding eminent domain, do we actually need additional land for our athletics complex? Isn’t the big thing left just the indoor practice facility? Seems to me there’s already space for that between the softball stadium and the tracks. More parking would be nice, but I’d think building garages on existing lots would be cheaper than buying out existing property owners (public and private).
That’s all we need left for Football… at the moment. Operations building will need to be bigger sooner than later as well.
Football isn’t the only sport. Softball may need to be relocated at some point to allow baseball field to be further expanded.
We just recently got outdoor track. That could still be improved as well as locker rooms/admin buildings for that. Have a family friend whose daughter is on track and field team here. They have been traveling all indoor season because guess what, we don’t have an indoor track and field facility. If there was room for that and to move soccer stadium over to that side of town as well would be beneficial for the current soccer field to be multipurpose or used for more academic buildings/dorms.
Also, yes need more parking.

Also we need a cross country course if we don’t already have one. The hills would be hellacious and a home field advantage. Imagine going around spring lake.

atxman

I suppose all of that might need some more land if they were necessary someday, but the chance of even half of that happening in my lifetime (or that of many others on here) seems pretty small. It will a very long time, if ever, before we have an indoor track facility, a new softball stadium and a new soccer stadium. I’m not sure we would need the latter two anyway. And there’s plenty of room to expand the baseball stadium already if needed. But I’ll never knock dreaming. Who knows? Maybe some fatcat alum will decide he or she wants to make TXST a sports mecca.

Jecbobcat

That’s all we need left for Football… at the moment. Operations building will need to be bigger sooner than later as well.
Football isn’t the only sport. Softball may need to be relocated at some point to allow baseball field to be further expanded.
We just recently got outdoor track. That could still be improved as well as locker rooms/admin buildings for that. Have a family friend whose daughter is on track and field team here. They have been traveling all indoor season because guess what, we don’t have an indoor track and field facility. If there was room for that and to move soccer stadium over to that side of town as well would be beneficial for the current soccer field to be multipurpose or used for more academic buildings/dorms.
Also, yes need more parking.

Also we need a cross country course if we don’t already have one. The hills would be hellacious and a home field advantage. Imagine going around spring lake.
Indoor track unfortunately isn't a high demand facility. What I always thought would be cool would be to have a multipurpose indoor facility that can be used for indoor track or the other sports practice facility.

I've never been inside an indoor track, so I don't know if it would work or not, but you think it would. If we wanted to stand out we should build a velodrome and start the trend

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Indoor track unfortunately isn't a high demand facility. What I always thought would be cool would be to have a multipurpose indoor facility that can be used for indoor track or the other sports practice facility.

I've never been inside an indoor track, so I don't know if it would work or not, but you think it would. If we wanted to stand out we should build a velodrome and start the trend
I've always thought that if I win the lottery, I'd build an ice rink in San Marcos. Something else for students to do for entertainment, but would also be used for our club hockey team.

After watching TXST hockey at The Crossover, that building would be perfect in San Marcos. They have one section that's a mini indoor soccer field. Could replace that with the indoor track, have one ice rink with stadium seating for hockey games and a 2nd rink for the public.

Maybe one day I'll win the lottery and make it happen. Or if some major real estate investor wants to take my idea and run with it, that's cool too lol

TXSTHockeyGuy44

M&G Collective Member
I've always thought that if I win the lottery, I'd build an ice rink in San Marcos. Something else for students to do for entertainment, but would also be used for our club hockey team.

After watching TXST hockey at The Crossover, that building would be perfect in San Marcos. They have one section that's a mini indoor soccer field. Could replace that with the indoor track, have one ice rink with stadium seating for hockey games and a 2nd rink for the public.

Maybe one day I'll win the lottery and make it happen. Or if some major real estate investor wants to take my idea and run with it, that's cool too lol
We can dream @JustinS09. Arizona State is a great example of a big donation turning a club team into a D1 team, and one that’s had some great success at that.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
If my circumstances allowed it, I’d have a ball doing what this guy does. I’ve always been a little geeky when it comes to football stadiums. Betting he makes it back to Bobcat Stadium this year or next. If you scroll down a ways, you’ll see he hasn’t been there since 2020. An awful year to visit any stadium. https://twitter.com/CFBcampustour
I could definitely not do that. I mean, I would absolutely love to have the opportunity to, but I’d loose any sponsorship opportunities when I partied too hard at the first tailgate and game and couldn’t make it to the second that day 😂