Football Scoop - Spavital Is Out

vp98

I think it is the right decision but not at all happy about having to go through three coaches in seven years. I really hoped Spav would work out but this is a tough turn around. I think the fact that this was his first head coaching job is a factor. We really need somebody with head coaching experience. I know the current list but was hoping KD had somebody in his contacts who has come through OU that he could bring in. Who hires a good head coach from a national search? College football is the ultimate good ole' boy system. It's who you know. In any case it is hard to keep supporting this team but it is in my blood and I guess I will always care. Got to drive through San Marcos twice this weekend on our family trip to San Antonio. I believe our football team, not our overall athletics department is our biggest liability. We have too much invested to turn back and must move forward in FBS. Please find us a good coach that will stay. That is hard to find but I'll take that over pretty much any Christmas gift.

Last edited:

LSU Bobcat

You guys think we can get a coach that knows how to recruit or another spav who pulls in mostly portal scraps?

LT Spider

You guys think we can get a coach that knows how to recruit or another spav who pulls in mostly portal scraps?
Guys that have already transferred can’t bail on us as easily. Get good hs guys and they leave after one good season and don’t have to sit out a year.

A mix would be ideal, you just have to know you are going to lose some guys.

TxSt1992

Kinne is difficult to gauge at this time. With that said, UIW actually lost a lot of players from last year. Kinne brought in the current UIW QB and proceeded to have a 10+ win season.

On the other hand, UIW had gone 3-8 and 1-10 the previous two years when Morris came in. I can't say that UIW was a dumpster fire at that time, but it certainly has the looks of it. Took him a few years, but he managed to get things turned around all while only having one losing season in his four years with the cardinals.
If it was up to me I'd go with Morris since he can be considered a proven coach that turned things around a program that is rather short on resources even at the FCS level. Although, with that said, Kinne would make a fine addition as well. We just have to watch out and start saving for that third or fourth year buyout just in case.

TxSt1992

Guys that have already transferred can’t bail on us as easily. Get good hs guys and they leave after one good season and don’t have to sit out a year.

A mix would be ideal, you just have to know you are going to lose some guys.

This is where a good experienced coach is needed. Making sense of that roster and setting it up for future success is going to take a lot of work. Spavital did us absolutely zero favors on that end.

LT Spider

I thought NCAA changed rules recently whereby if your head coach leaves, you can transfer again with immediate eligibility. That wrong?
I know it was discussed and think it was adopted. I’m thinking more about when we have an established coach. Unfortunately, solid group of 5 players that have a transfer in the bank use it to go to a bigger program and get paid NIL money for their trouble.

vp98

. . . not the kind of depth I’m talkin’ about. Our program needs a Coach that’s a proven winner, one who has built and sustained a winning program (s).

Neither Withers nor Jake could make the claim. While Kinne has won at UIW, he did it with someone else’s groceries. He might be a good coach. I just don’t know if he’s capable of building and sustaining a winning program.

And I just don’t think we’re in a position to “Bank on” another experiment.
Yea, cool I get you, bro.