Football Scoop - Spavital Is Out

Bobcatfan71

Well dang do you think if we got one more season of Hatcher we could have had the EZ complex finished and the indoor practice facility built at the expense of our offense not scoring 20 points?
Don’t forget at the expense of the other players that are busting their asses on that field.. I feel bad for this years senior class because the should be playing in a bowl game.

So since the plan fell thru and Spav is gone and Layne won’t win the job.. how much does he give toward completion of the endzone complex??

Last edited:

LT Spider

Don’t forget at the expense of the other players that are busting their asses on that field.. I fill bad for this years senior class because the should be playing in a bowl game.

So since the plan fell thru and Spav is gone and Layne won’t win the job.. how much does he give toward completion of the endzone complex??
I have a feeling the Hatchers won’t be here long and I would kiss any planned donations goodbye. I don’t know them personally but I have worked with plenty of people that tried to buy influence through donations. They all left when they learned that they couldn’t write a check and get what they wanted. Usually after a lot of threats….but they left.

Bobcatfan71

I have a feeling the Hatchers won’t be here long and I would kiss any planned donations goodbye. I don’t know them personally but I have worked with plenty of people that tried to buy influence through donations. They all left when they learned that they couldn’t write a check and get what they wanted. Usually after a lot of threats….but they left.
your right… 40 clubs seats this season and if he gets all the snaps for 2 seasons we pay for the complex.. GTFOH

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Maybe they knew the jig was up and that’s why the parking space was empty for the last game.

stallionjockey

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Maybe they knew the jig was up and that’s why the parking space was empty for the last game.
I did see a few knock off #3 jerseys roaming around the Pavillon but not near the amount normally are there. Some of that crew has to know Layne sucks, but they get free perks by wearing a poorly made 3 jersey so they just go along with it. You can’t tell me any of them watched that game Saturday and thought “man, our boy Layne has all the tools to play on Sundays!” Dude can’t hit water if he fell out of a boat

DrumCat

TomGIBill

M&G Collective Member
Honestly, I'm going to be pretty transparent and that might mean I shade what I put in writing but catch me at a tailgate, Castro Club, in class or almost anywhere else and you'll probably hear my unfiltered opinion. I'm by no means a "big-time" donor and unless my number hits I never will be, I donate too much of my working hours for that, but I have one of those zip-tied reserved parking spots.

Early/mid season I was very much in favor of retaining Spav. I even said to some other people in the Champions Club and Suite Level that wear jerseys and carry more weight than me that I hoped they'd put their weight behind Spav getting an honest chance with KD and DC energizing the program. Then Homecoming, ULM, every other game happened along with his smirking and flippant attitude at press conferences and I know he wasn't the guy. I work for myself and I feel pressure to perform from my "boss" and "we" have conversations when the outcome isn't what we are striving for. Who TF doesn't feel pressure to succeed in their job? That's when they lost me.

Bobcatfan71

Honestly, I'm going to be pretty transparent and that might mean I shade what I put in writing but catch me at a tailgate, Castro Club, in class or almost anywhere else and you'll probably hear my unfiltered opinion. I'm by no means a "big-time" donor and unless my number hits I never will be, I donate too much of my working hours for that, but I have one of those zip-tied reserved parking spots.

Early/mid season I was very much in favor of retaining Spav. I even said to some other people in the Champions Club and Suite Level that wear jerseys and carry more weight than me that I hoped they'd put their weight behind Spav getting an honest chance with KD and DC energizing the program. Then Homecoming, ULM, every other game happened along with his smirking and flippant attitude at press conferences and I know he wasn't the guy. I work for myself and I feel pressure to perform from my "boss" and "we" have conversations when the outcome isn't what we are striving for. Who TF doesn't feel pressure to succeed in their job? That's when they lost me.
How about during the broadcast of the JMU game his QB1 was quoted at saying this was the first time he hasn’t had someone “nibbling at his heals”

“nopressure

numbnuts

Explains why Spavital would play Layne every snap and, when questioned by Keff Sat., deflect by spinning with "we had new OL, new WRs we had to get used to, we got to get him help" non-sense.
It seems apparent that Hatcher's dad influenced the staff to play his son. My question, though, is why would Spav agree to that? As an AD, I could see the obvious benefits of receiving a large donation to support the new facilities but how does racking up losses help a 37 year old first time HC in his career? It's clear that Spav played along but why? He was never going to be a lifer at this school and probably didn't even desire to be here to see the finished weight room facilities.

Bobcat1

It seems apparent that Hatcher's dad influenced the staff to play his son. My question, though, is why would Spav agree to that? As an AD, I could see the obvious benefits of receiving a large donation to support the new facilities but how does racking up losses help a 37 year old first time HC in his career? It's clear that Spav played along but why? He was never going to be a lifer at this school and probably didn't even desire to be here to see the finished weight room facilities.

I feel like someday we will be part of a 30 for 30 on the Hatchers criss crossing the country to buy athletic departments to play their mediocre children and put their names on their facilities.

numbnuts

That podcast answered it for me.

Spav knew that as long as he gave every snap to #LOL, he'd have--because there are so few TXST big donors--the most influential donor in his corner insisting that he get all 5 years of that $800K no-pressure gig, where he's king.

And insist Daddy did. Almost saved Spav's job, but the on-field and online Spatcher stench and empty seats simply became too much for KD.

I agree from an ally perspective, Spav and Hatcher make sense. Where it falls a little flat is we are only talking about $400k (difference in 5th year salary vs buyout). Where I struggle with this is long term motivations. Hatcher is here for another year and then his influence as a donor goes away (ally lost). As a coach (especially at age 37 with an entire career in front of you), you stand to make a lot more money by winning than by garnering the influence of a short-term booster. Not to mention your reputation as a coach going forward.