NonConf Games

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Hosting Rice at 2 today. Finally a decent home game. Hopefully some people show up to Strahan. Rice is 5-2, winning four straight that includes Georgia Southern. Seeing Texas State -4.5. Last game Ceaser, Martin, Morgan were all out and still no sign of Kennedy.

Quick hits from the game notes:

• Texas State wrapped up its six-game road swing with four victories after defeating Lamar 65-55 on Thursday. During the stretch, the Bobcats picked up their first-ever win over a Pac-12 team (California) and it was also the first against a Power 5 program in 24 years.
• Eight of the first nine games this season for TXST were on the road with the lone home contest being on Nov. 10 against Mid-Amer- ica Chrsitian. The road trips took the Bobcats to the Pacific Northwest, the Northeast, Northern California and Hawai’i, along with two games in the Lone Star State, to travel approximately 7,422 miles to the games.
• Mason Harrell is one of 23 Texas State players to have scored 1,000 career points. The Midwest City, Oklahoma native enters Sunday with 1,205 points to rank 11th in team history. He is 87 points shy of moving into the top 10.
• Davion Sykes had one of his best performances in his young career at Lamar. The freshman matched his season best of 12 points while setting new highs in rebounds (8) and assists (3).
• Brandon Love blocked a career-high four shots on Thursday. The block total is most by a Bobcat since Nighael Ceasar rejcted five attempts against Paul Quinn on Dec. 18, 2021.
• Coming off the bench, Drue Drinnon posted season-highs in five statistical categories being points (11), made field goals (5), assists (6), steals (4) and minutes (26).

TXSTFAN

Interesting to see Elijah Kennedy retweet a TXST MBB tweet on Thursday. I figured he was a goner. Not going to speculate why he is out but maybe still with program? https://twitter.com/eligotnext

Aw, was tweet of Gatkek, his former teammate, so might be reading more into it than is there.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Interesting to see Elijah Kennedy retweet a TXST MBB tweet on Thursday. I figured he was a goner. Not going to speculate why he is out but maybe still with program? https://twitter.com/eligotnext

Aw, was tweet of Gatkek, his former teammate, so might be reading more into it than is there.
Hoping (not sure that’s the best word) it’s some academic/eligibility issue and he’ll appear in January but none of the staff follow him on twitter, not that it means anything, and haven’t noticed him on/behind the bench. Plus they signed an extra juco guard than would be warranted, which makes me think he won’t be around in the future. We’ll find out.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Rice are getting open 3s at will. Can’t defend a lick and roll. Passing to the weak side corner gets us scrambling and Rice doing a great job making the extra pass.

Martin a black hole so far when he gets it in the post.

Good news is both Martin and Ceaser are back. Morgan still out. Hopefully we’ll get some consistency with the lineup so we can get the rotation figured out and what player groupings work well together

GolfCat

Late to the party.
40-30 Owls at the half
They are 7-11 from beyond the arc.
Nice block by Gatkek to end the half.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Down 40-30 at half. Were down as much as 18. Defense isn’t communicating and scrambling a lot. I really don’t remember us having an actual open shot.

Love and Gatkek are a fun combo at the 4-5 for rim protection and athleticism but neither stretch the floor or rebound, but Love’s post moves are working and Gatkek can finish above the rim. Had a crazy put back dunk but they called a foul on the shot attempt so didn’t count. Haven’t made a 3. Dawson was the guy who is supposed to be the killer out there but he hasn’t gotten going yet

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Was planning to have a nice weekend of sports with the TXST game if Ft. Worth followed by the Cowboys and Texans game on Sunday but I won't be able to make the basketball game Saturday :(

franslasttwinkie

SHSU should be a good measuring stick to see how we will fare in the conference slate of the schedule. They might be the best team we have played so far this season save for maybe Wazzu. I feel like the momentum or lack thereof that comes out of that game is going to carry the tone for conference play.