Realignment Super Thread

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Pretty sure a judge compelling universities to compete in a specific league isn't on the table at all. The schools have made their decision, and there will be a financial penalty paid, per the contract, or subsequent agreement.

atxman

If there’s no financial penalty, then seems to me C-USA is SOL. I could still see remaining schools going to court and claiming that they were being hurt financially by the three schools leaving earlier than the by-laws lay out. But I agree that doesn’t seem likely to help.

atxman

From ESPN today:
"Conference USA intends to conduct the 2022-23 athletic year with the full 14 institution membership intact," the league's board said in a statement. "The C-USA Board of Directors will exhaust all necessary legal actions to ensure all members meet their contractual obligations as defined by and agreed to in the Conference USA Bylaws."

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
The big CSNBBS board with the Sun Belt and CUSA boards are crashed right now. I'd like to think it crashed because of all this tea.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Think w/ 16 teams, it has to be 9. If they go 4x4 pods, that's 3 vs your pod, 2 vs each other pod, which gives you a H/H w/ everyone in the conference every 4yrs. That's what I've seen referenced the most.
From Chip Brown:
I’ve heard when Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC, it’s likely the SEC will break into four, four-team pods.

In football, you’d play the three other teams in your pod every year and then likely play two teams from each of the three other pods, giving the league nine conference games. Currently, the SEC plays eight conference games.

That would also allow for every team in the SEC to never go longer than two years without playing the other conference members outside of their own pod. It would also mean you’d host every school in the SEC at least once every four years.

That would solve a weird quirk in the SEC’s current scheduling created after the league expanded to 14 when Texas A&M and Missouri joined the conference in 2012. Teams such as Alabama and Georgia had only one scheduled meeting (in Athens in 2015) during an 11-year span from 2009-19 and the Crimson Tide and Bulldogs have had only two scheduled meetings (2015 and 2020) in the last 13 years.

Here's the kicker: I’ve also heard Texas A&M does NOT want to be in the same pod with Texas.

A&M sources will deny that publicly. But A&M obviously didn’t want Texas in the SEC and might’ve tried to make a deal with the rest of the SEC: in exchange for A&M’s vote in favor of admitting Texas, the Aggies and Longhorns wouldn’t be in the same pod.

I’ve heard one proposal that had Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri in the same pod while A&M, LSU, Ole Miss and Mississippi State would be in the same pod. Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee and Vanderbilt would be in the same pod, while Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and South Carolina would be in the same pod.

Again, things could change. But if all that plays out, Texas and A&M, who talk about each other in their respective fight songs, would play twice (home and away) every four years instead of every year. Definitely, something to keep an eye on.

As far as when Texas and Oklahoma would join the SEC, I'm still hearing their first football season in the SEC would likely be 2024, when ESPN takes over the broadcast rights for SEC football.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I wonder if UT will start playing FCS teams again, they quit after the last round of realignment but FCS games are a staple of most SEC teams' schedules.
Just noticed this as I was looking for the previous post, and I couldn't remember UT playing FCS teams before 2012, so I had to go dig into it...

Texas last played an FCS team in 2006 - Sam Houston State. Before that was Villanova in 1953.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I just can't see aggy not being in the same pod as UT. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Rock and a hard place for the ags.

They either get stuck w/ Texas, OU and Arkansas and have to face 2 programs that simply dominated them in their previous life, and have to feel like they got completely disrespected by the $EC!...

Or they get stuck with LSU, Ole Miss and MSU, who have a combined 17-12 record vs aTm, including 3-0 vs them last year. LSU is 8-2 w/ one of those losses being the 7 OT game. MSU has Leach, who was 7-3 vs aTm at Tech and had no problem handling them in Kyle this year. Ole Miss has Kiffin, who I think is going to handle the NIL/transfer era better than most.

Their leadership needs to start the "we don't care who we play, we're here to win it all" talk immediately, and cut off all the whiny victim nonsense early.

Last edited:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Does Villanova even count as being FCS back then since there was no FCS?
I thought about that as I posted it, and then realized I didn't care since it was before any of us were born. But technically, I think the answer is no and I just went off of who is FCS/small school now.