Realignment Super Thread

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Yep here's you Alabama...many millennials and younger think that Alabama has been Goliath or had money out the wazzoo every single season back to the beginning of time. 14 seasons just in this stretch of time with more than 3 losses, my dad an AU grad and basketball player there in the late 60s tends to remind folks. Yes Bear Bryant often thought of as one of the best CFB coaches of all time had 4 seasons with more than 3 losses.

View attachment 2488
And we’ve had very few seasons with over 3 victories.

Rk Year Conf W L
1 2021 Sun Belt 4 8
2 2020 Sun Belt 2 10
3 2019 Sun Belt 3 9
4 2018 Sun Belt 3 9
5 2017 Sun Belt 2 10
6 2016 Sun Belt 2 10
7 2015 Sun Belt 3 9
8 2014 Sun Belt 7 5
9 2013 Sun Belt 6 6
10 2012 WAC 4 8

Last edited:

LT Spider

Go look at Kansas state in their big 8 days. They won 1 game in 3 years.

Hell, even Florida state won 1 game in 2 years as an independent in the 70s. Two decades later they are dominating college football. Programs grow and change over time. I just feel like we are going to lock in a top 50 and create such an uneven playing field, it will lock in that top tier.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I'd love to see a promotion/relegation system, but that messes with too many things - conferences being the number 1, but also the disparity between strength of different sports at a school. If your football team sucks but your basketball team is awesome, which sport dictates what tier your school is in? If you're a school w/ a limited budget, but you've got a great athletic department and punch above your weight to be the best in your tier, you get promoted up but can't compete so you get sent down. The good mid-majors would be constantly cycling up/down, which is no bueno.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
That’s painful, why’d you have to go there? 😣😅
Just keepin it real. We maxed out at D2 and treaded water at 1AA/FCS. We are like the starter home that pays the same HOA as the McMansions but is relegated to the small pool. Then we lose our job and the house gets foreclosed upon and all we have is the window decal.

From an article on The Athletic, Sun Belt likely to keep divisions:

Sun Belt
The Sun Belt was one of the last conferences to make realignment additions last year, but it was the first to actually acquire them. Marshall, Southern Miss, Old Dominion and James Madison have already joined for the 2022 season, after a bit of a legal fight, taking the conference from 10 teams to 14.
Southern Miss will play in the West division, while the other three additions will play in the East. Troy is moving from the East to the West. A major factor in the SBC’s expansion decisions was geography. New or rekindled rivalries like ODU-JMU, App State-Marshall and Southern Miss-South Alabama will now be divisional games. The East division in particular has several schools near each other. Eliminating divisions could remove some of those games, which were a point in favor of expansion.

“Some of the realignment decisions we made were to create regional rivalries,” Gill said. “Once you decide you’re going to schedule (those) in divisions, it makes some sense to make a path to the championship in divisions.”

Though the East division has been and could continue to be loaded compared to the West, Gill doesn’t foresee divisions playing a role in the SBC’s ability to reach a New Year’s Six game or an expanded playoff. At least not yet. App State, Louisiana and Coastal Carolina have all reached the Top 25 over the past two years.

“We don’t think it’s going to impact our access in that regard,” Gill said. “In some conferences, it could, and we understand that. But for us, we don’t know, as we analyze it right now, that it’s going to have an impact. If it’s not, then standard divisions make sense.”

Cyberpunk

Idk why I’m doing this to myself but this is Memphis’ planned stadium renovation, it looks fucking sexy. A fellow G5 school, obviously they have money and winning seasons but still… looks like the new king of G5 stadiums. ECU’s is also pretty sick. I feel like the AAC is still way ahead of the SBC in terms of facilities, even with their top 3 leaving.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Thanks guys.
And those are top numbers for G-5?
BYU averaged 61K. I could not find a school by school breakdown.

CONFERENCEAVG. ATTENDANCE '21% CHANGE '19NOTES
SEC72,195-0.007Lowest since '99
Big Ten65,252+0.003Highest since '18
Big 1255,017-4.3Lowest since '00
Pac-1243,865-4.8Lowest ever*
ACC42,599-11.7Lowest since '90
Independents32,146-13.2Lowest since '01
AAC28,592-3.0Lowest ever*
MWC21,401-7.9Lowest ever*
Sun Belt18,410+0.04Highest since '13
C-USA18,048-11.5Lowest ever*
MAC17,456+12.4Highest since '06