Realignment Super Thread

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I have seen that the NCAA just made some changes on that front, but nothing from SBC on that.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Any chatter on doing away with divisions? A few other conferences (ACC and MWC) supposedly are.
Here's a bit on how the ACC might handle it - relevant as they have 14 as well: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33899589/acc-mulls-3-5-5-college-football-scheduling-model-effort-scrap-divisions

3-5-5 scheduling model in which league teams would play three permanent opponents, then rotate through the rest over a two-year period (five one year, five the next)
Would have to think our 3 would be ULL, ULM, ASU

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Im completely fine with the top 30 or so P5s breaking away. I just hope we stay above the current FCS and I dont want anymore FCS moveups to happen unless they're the Dakota States or Montanas.

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
Im completely fine with the top 30 or so P5s breaking away. I just hope we stay above the current FCS and I dont want anymore FCS moveups to happen unless they're the Dakota States or Montanas.
To a degree I’m torn about not being in the top division, but at the same time I know that we’re never going to be at the same level as the top P5 programs (UT, Alabama, etc.). I agree with the quoted sentiment, and hopefully we‘ll be back on a winning track to be an actual contender for a national championship again.

LT Spider

I have mixed feelings about it. Schools grow and change over time. Many of the best power 5 programs weren’t shit 40 years ago. Meanwhile, teams that are barely on the radar now won multiple national championships in the earlier years. If you create a system that doesn’t allow for mobility, I think you cut off a lot of donations at lower level schools.

Texas state is never going to be Bama, but I do think we could move up through the ranks over the next few decades….. with proper management and fan support. If you create a mini-NFL with paid players and some other poverty conferences, I think you kill all of that upward mobility potential. NIL has already started this process.

slycat

It really sucks for none football sports. If it shatters the current March Madness or baseball format then I will hate it. If it is like DI is now and FBS/FCS all on the same "level" for oly sports then I am fine.

It would also be annoying if teams the don't deserve to move up and ride the wave by simply being in P5 conferences. Looking at most of the ACC, the MS schools, Vandy, half the PAC 12, and the new Big XII teams plus a few existing members.

franslasttwinkie

Many of the best power 5 programs weren’t shit 40 years ago. Meanwhile, teams that are barely on the radar now won multiple national championships in the earlier years.
Yep here's you Alabama...many millennials and younger think that Alabama has been Goliath or had money out the wazzoo every single season back to the beginning of time. 14 seasons just in this stretch of time with more than 3 losses, my dad an AU grad and basketball player there in the late 60s tends to remind folks. Yes Bear Bryant often thought of as one of the best CFB coaches of all time had 4 seasons with more than 3 losses.