The Positivity Thread

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
I can say this now that McBride is on the bench without getting attacked, but our QBs have it rough. We virtually never have open receivers. Some combination of not enough protection (not an issue vs. ULM), receivers unable to get open, awful scheme/play design, and/or our opponents' having a general idea what's coming too often. I've said it before and I'll say it again, poor QB play is an issue for this team for sure, but it's like the 4th or 5th biggest issue with this offense.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
I can say this now that McBride is on the bench without getting attacked, but our QBs have it rough. We virtually never have open receivers. Some combination of not enough protection (not an issue vs. ULM), receivers unable to get open, awful scheme/play design, and/or our opponents' having a general idea what's coming too often. I've said it before and I'll say it again, poor QB play is an issue for this team for sure, but it's like the 4th or 5th biggest issue with this offense.
Why does the whisperer have such awful scheme/play design? Because it is.

Marcato

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Three of the four TE have had success catching seam passes in seasons past, but I don't think they've thrown 8 targets to that group all year, and rarely let them release on routes at all. Against ULL, Lanham ran 80 plays, four routes, one target. That's more than just play design, it's wholesale abandonment of an element that had been successful.
This drives me bonkers. As an offensive coach, how do you gameplan week in, week out and simply ignore an entire position group? Especially one that's halfway decent, and can help both your other offensive weapon groups, with only mediocre success. It's not like you need Tony Gonzales and Rob Gronkowski to make it worthwhile to throw to them. You don't even need Brad Miller. You just need to include them in the gameplan to keep the defense honest so they can't help so easily on the RB and WR. Maddening.

DrumCat

It's not like you need Tony Gonzales and Rob Gronkowski to make it worthwhile to throw to them.
Not to mention Spav compared Micah Hilts to Gronk when he was recruited. Such an exciting player in 2019, injured in 2020, why aren't we using him now?

PikesPete

Not to mention Spav compared Micah Hilts to Gronk when he was recruited. Such an exciting player in 2019, injured in 2020, why aren't we using him now?
Plainly, he’s less of a mobile tackle, which is what they want TE to be. I think they feel they have enough receivers, and they need the help on the line. Maybe if the line truly is solidifying you will see more TE in patterns. The top three have all shown they can catch.

Mpf43

In my opinion their qb was the best athlete on the field when they played txst and probably is in most of their games.

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Couple of positives:

1. We've started attacking the middle of the field. Gives me hope TEs will start getting involved.

2. Another game we should have won absent our punter seeing ghosts.

John Dutton

Couple of positives:

1. We've started attacking the middle of the field. Gives me hope TEs will start getting involved.

2. Another game we should have won absent our punter seeing ghosts.
Definitely need more of attacking the middle of the field and getting the ball out quickly. Vitt had a play last week that was perfect, recognized blitz and unloaded is 5 yard completion. Where is that? Let em blitz and make them pay instead of running around in circles.

Bullcat

Too young to remember the 1971 Cowboy's SB win over Miami or the 1977 win against the Broncos with Morton, Gradishar, and the Orange Crush D. Do not remember the SB against Pittsburgh in 1978 except the Jackie Smith drop in the end zone. The first memorable Cowboy game watched was Staubach's last regular season game against Washington in 1979 which they won 35-34. Danny White led them to three NFC conference games from 80-82. Thought that would be the norm, until the 1 win season in 1989 - at least the win was against Washington. Well, the Cowboys got back to the Super Bowl in 1992 and won over the Bills. The best game was beating San Francisco in the NFC Championship game. It took fifteen years to get back to the SB and win.

In the early 80s, the Spurs would win the Midwest Division and falter against the Lakers in the Western Conference finals. In the early 90s, the Spurs could not beat Portland. How things changed when a guy named Duncan arrived in 1997. The LA (WCSF) and Portland series wins (WCF) to get the Finals in 99 made it all the more better. The small market team with five titles in 15 years. It took some sixteen years to get to the NBA Finals. It was even longer if you take into account the loss to the Washington Bullets in the late 70s.

Now on to baseball, I have followed the Rangers since 1984 - Bell, Sundberg, Parrish, Inky, Sierra, and Valentine. Can't leave out broadcaster Mark Holtz with the signature call "Hello win column" after every Ranger win. When a man named Oates became manager, the team made the playoffs for the first time in 1996. Then, again in 98 and 99. Along come the 2010 and 2011 seasons and the Rangers made the WS. One strike away from winning and Friese - well leave it at that. Let's see that makes 37 years overall and just 10 years since the WS.

It has been some 16 years since the last season of meaningful success. How long will it be before the cycle is broken with another memorable season?

Bobcat supporter to the bitter end.

Last edited: